[SOLVED] I7-7700K overheating upon startup ?

Mar 31, 2023
Last week my computer started overheating. I found out after a restart in which I had a CPU over temp error upon post. After letting it sit overnight and restarting i had multiple variations of BSOD before it would start each time. All codes seemed to point to lack of processing power on startup, which i figure to be throttling due to heat. After making sure my CPU was not the problem with intel's processor diagnostic i made sure my seating was good. There was no issues with seating and after i googled the problem everything seemed to point to my AIO failing. Since i had a spare i decided to throw that on this morning. After resetting the bios and with the new AIO on i no longer had BSODS upon startup but my temps were still high immediately.

I left the factory paste on the AIO I put on and added a small amount extra so I don't believe bad seating to be a factor. As you can see from the photo my temperatures seem to remain high unless I let the PC sit for a few minutes. After sitting the temps go down to ~78C. I tried contacting my MOBO manufacturer as i believe that to be the issue at the moment but i keep getting passed from one phone tree to the next because i'm out of warranty.
Am I right to believe its a MOBO issue? looking for a second opinion before I have to start shotgunning things. :/
Thank you for the help!

image-2023-03-31-235014415.png

Solution
I left the factory paste on the AIO I put on and added a small amount extra so I don't believe bad seating to be a factor

You really needed to clean off the old paste with isopropyl and microfiber cloth before applying new. Not only did you introduce air pockets but now thermal conduction isn't great. Redo it and spread pea size amount of paste with your finger in glad wrap.

Aio will always have pump failures eventually.

7700k doesn't need water, if your case can fit a tower cooler like the Deepcool AK620, that would be the better way to go long term.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I left the factory paste on the AIO I put on and added a small amount extra so I don't believe bad seating to be a factor

You really needed to clean off the old paste with isopropyl and microfiber cloth before applying new. Not only did you introduce air pockets but now thermal conduction isn't great. Redo it and spread pea size amount of paste with your finger in glad wrap.

Aio will always have pump failures eventually.

7700k doesn't need water, if your case can fit a tower cooler like the Deepcool AK620, that would be the better way to go long term.

Solution
Mar 31, 2023
I think there's a misunderstanding. I previously had cleaned it as such, I just used the paste that was on the AIO with some more new. while removing the cooler to look at it I noticed that the problem was indeed the seating but not how I would expect. The mounting spacers that came with the cooler were slightly too tall so not all of the compound was making contact. I had to apply more compound than I usually do to make the coverage work out, but after another seating my temps are down dramatically to 47-50C.

When I built my computer (I wanted everything the best as I could afford so I went with water. planning on doing the same within a year so my backup cooler will do for now. Thank you for the help!

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
You are misunderstanding. When you pull something like this with paste, you need to clean it completely and apply only new paste.

I may be misunderstanding but each time you say this, it does imply you left the current paste and added. No no.