Question i7 7700k overheating

orazzledazzle

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Hey there. I Just recently noticed that my MSI afterburner showed my CPU temperature has been very high. I think the problem that I have atm has been happening for a while I just haven't noticed until now so hopefully I can fix whatever it is before causing anymore potential damage to the pc.

I noticed my temps at idle are around 45-50°C , but as soon as I do any simple task such as open a new browser you notice it spike up about 60°C then back down to 50-55°C . I went on to test it while running a game and the CPU temp under MSI afterburner showed 100% and I was worried so I instantly closed the game and now trying to figure out what I should do next. I took a couple of pictures that showed temps and such that I will attach. I have a before/after and also one picture with the CPU at max temperature. All I was doing for the CPU to hit the high temperature you will see in the pictures was downloading an update through steam. I also noticed even just opening spotify up will raise the temps from the idle all the way to 90, it drops right back down to 50 again, but still probably not normal.

The computer case is on the bigger side and there is plenty of airflow so I know that's not the problem.I just recently replaced the case fans and this is the second time I have done so since owning the computer. The first time I replaced the case fans I didn't look at the fan attached to the radiator so I think that it may have been needing a replacement at the time, but I just replaced the case fan attached to the radiator for the first time about a week ago. I'm not sure if having the fan potentially not working for a period of time may have worn out the cpu cooling or not.

I'm not really sure what other information may be useful so if there is any other questions needed just ask and any help would be appreciated! I also just ordered thermal paste today so I can attempt to replace that for the first time when it gets in. I haven't had any games crash or the pc crash at all so I wasn't aware of the overheating going on.

That leads me to another question on if it's safe to actually use the computer when it's at such a high idle temp? Also wondering if it's safe to actually run any load on the pc with how high the temps get? Or should I avoid using the computer until it's all figured out? Just seeing what I can and should not do while trying to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:
-INTEL CORE I7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB INTEL SMART CACHE
-250GB WD BLUE SSD M.2 2280 SATAIII 6.0 GB/s
-2TB HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200RPM 6.0 GB/s 64MB
-ADATA 8GB DDR4-3000 XPG Z1 MEMORY
-CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 120MM LIQUID COOLING BULK PA
-MSI Z270 GAMING PLUS ATX CROSSIFRE SATA 6 USB
-ENERMAX REVO DUO SERIES 700WATTS 80 PLUS GOLD DUAL

(Not overclocked, purchased coming up on two years ago at the end of this month.)

Pictures of the temps:

<MODERATOR EDIT>

Please use paragraphs for readability.

Last edited by a moderator:

orazzledazzle

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
The pumps in those AIOs don't last forever...
If your warranty hasn't expired, have Corsair replace it.
If it has, time to buy a new one.
Alright, thank you for the reply. I sent them an email requiring about the warranty so I'll see how that goes. If the warranty has expired do you have any suggestions for a replacement one?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Alright, thank you for the reply. I sent them an email requiring about the warranty so I'll see how that goes. If the warranty has expired do you have any suggestions for a replacement one?
Yea, a tad bit bigger cooler if you want to stay the liquid cooled route:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $65.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-23 01:54 EDT-0400