Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Msi z270 sli plus
i7 7700k 4.2 ghz
8g hyper x fury 3000 ddr4
8g ballistix sport 2666evga 850 gold
evga supernove 850 g2 psu
old stock cooling fan for cpu (i know this needs to be replaced, looking at budget options but have no money now)
3 front fans, 1 rear fan
1tb intel ssd
2tb barracude 7200 hard drive
do also have a logitech hd webcam used as a constant security device, xbox 360 controller always connected, my iphone charger through my usb 3.0 on front panel, printer in back, usb reciever for wireless mouse and keyboard

sorry i am unable to post pictures or link text, but this shows my temps under load as im playing minecraft yes, loading 16 chunks on an amplified world and decided to check temps during gameplay while forcing the loading of all the chunks in a good piece of the world that has a lot of different land but a lot to load so it will stress it a little. Well the max values on the right show right after i was flying through unrendered chunks of the map for a good 30 seconds.

The fact my cpu hits between 89 degrees to 92 max is what ive seen, is that actually going to hurt this cpu? ive read up a lot but nothing gives clear answers as the pc tech world is always split with egos. This is my second build and trust me ive gotten everything dirt cheap, which is the only reason i have what i have. But what would be the best cooler i could get for this and would it even really be beneficial for this processor, or am I just looking at running it like this for the life of it?

What is it with the voltages that show the psu rails are maxed? Am I not getting as much as i could out of the parts in my pc because of that and if so what are my options there. My last thing about this is the fact i was told even with this mobo it should not overclock my cpu. but im seeing that the core speed is around 4.45 ghz rather than 4.2. I would assume that would also affect the temps and maybe even greatly, but it does not have an option in bios to disable the auto core clock speed. Ram has the option to turn from auto to disabled. but the cpu clock speed only says auto or allows me to enter numbers. I just read that the turbo boost is built in, so i guess thats not overclocked? I am confused on that part

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dTzoLSVi7maTnMun8

Last edited:
Solution
... i7 7700k ... old stock cooling fan ... 89 degrees to 92 ... is that actually going to hurt this cpu? ... What is it with the voltages that show the psu rails are maxed? ... core speed is around 4.45 ghz rather than 4.2.
Liljames326,

On behalf of Tom's Hardware Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Q : Exactly which CPU did your "old stock cooling fan" come from?

Since the 7700K does not include its specified 130 Watt stock cooler which is sold separately, there are only 2 possibilities; the all aluminum 65 Watt cooler, or the 95 Watt variant which has a copper center that's visible from the bottom. Both are inadequate for the 7700K...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... i7 7700k ... old stock cooling fan ... 89 degrees to 92 ... is that actually going to hurt this cpu? ... What is it with the voltages that show the psu rails are maxed? ... core speed is around 4.45 ghz rather than 4.2.
Liljames326,

Since the 7700K does not include its specified 130 Watt stock cooler which is sold separately, there are only 2 possibilities; the all aluminum 65 Watt cooler, or the 95 Watt variant which has a copper center that's visible from the bottom. Both are inadequate for the 7700K.

Although "Throttle" temperature for the 7700K is 100°C, it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature. (The international standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C or 72°F.)

Concerning voltages as well as other critical parameters, Hardware Monitor is not exactly known for accuracy. Instead, a highly recommended, accurate and detailed monitoring utility is Hardware Info (HWiNFO), which is frequently updated and is trusted by well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers. When you first run Hardware Info, select "Sensors only".

Also, Base clock for the i7-7700K is 4.2GHz while Turbo Boost is 4.5GHz, so the clock speeds you're seeing are normal and expected, and will vary according to workload. Moreover, as the "Z" motherboards are designed for overclocking, they most certainly do provide BIOS settings for tweaking Core clock and much, much more.

You can Google for specific Guides to understand the BIOS settings for your MSI Z270 SLI Plus, such as manually decreasing Core voltage, which decreases Core temperatures. "Auto" Vcore applies more voltage than necessary to maintain stability, which needlessly increases Core temperatures. Even if you never intend to overclock, most overclocking Guides explain how to minimize Core voltage while maintaining stability.

Here's a good place to start your research:

CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners

Intel Temperature Guide

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Solution

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Liljames326,

Since the 7700K does not include its specified 130 Watt stock cooler which is sold separately, there are only 2 possibilities; the all aluminum 65 Watt cooler, or the 95 Watt variant which has a copper center that's visible from the bottom. Both are inadequate for the 7700K.

Although "Throttle" temperature for the 7700K is 100°C, it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature. (The international standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C or 72°F.)

Concerning voltages as well as other critical parameters, Hardware Monitor is not exactly known for accuracy. Instead, a highly recommended, accurate and detailed monitoring utility is Hardware Info (HWiNFO), which is frequently updated and is trusted by well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers. When you first run Hardware Info, select "Sensors only".

Also, Base clock for the i7-7700K is 4.2GHz while Turbo Boost is 4.5GHz, so the clock speeds you're seeing are normal and expected, and will vary according to workload. Moreover, as the "Z" motherboards are designed for overclocking, they most certainly do provide BIOS settings for tweaking Core clock and much, much more.

You can Google for specific Guides to understand the BIOS settings for your MSI Z270 SLI Plus, such as manually decreasing Core voltage, which decreases Core temperatures. "Auto" Vcore applies more voltage than necessary to maintain stability, which needlessly increases Core temperatures. Even if you never intend to overclock, most overclocking Guides explain how to minimize Core voltage while maintaining stability.

Here's a good place to start your research:

CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners

Intel Temperature Guide

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

To be quite honest, I am using a stock cooler for an i3 7300. Although thank you for all the information and places to start. I was worried about it to begin with and still am, but is there any cooler you specifically recommend that it not liquid or to the extreme? It seems from the research that I have done a lot of people have high operating temps despite high end coolers in the rig. The normal chasis temp seems to set around 32 to 40 degrees celsius. and i do usually keep it between 68 to 70 in the house, sometimes around 72 if my girlfriend gets cold haha.

The last paragraph makes a lot of sense to me and i really appreciate the response and welcome. That is the information I needed to go off that I really had no idea where to start. Thanks again

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Optimal Airflow and Cooling is front to back, so a tower type cooler should ideally be oriented to conform with case airflow.

CT:sol:

i started to think about the cooling system as im ecoding videos and when encoding more than one my temps run about 95.0 at max load with the stock cooler. but when i only have 1 instance it stays around 85 so i am keeping it like that for now. but i have 3 front fans and 1 exhaust fan. I read the link and was wondering if i only get the one fan with the new cooler i ordered, would it be more efficient to have it pull the cool air through the radiator rather than push it?