Question i7 7700k runnig hot?

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
So my PC spec are as follows;

i7 7700K not overclocked
h100i cpu water cooler (getting on the older side now, maybe 5 years or so)
GTX 1080 Duke
32inch 1440p 144hz curved monitor (felt like including this because of the load this monitor probably causes)
1TB SSD
250GB SSD
500GB SSD
32 GB DDR4 RAM
600W PSU
MSI Z270 A PRO MOBO

So whats happening is I felt like one day while I was playing BF5 my pc felt warmer then normal. So downloaded Core temp and monitored my CPU temps.
At idle my i7 runs at about 37-60 degrees
when i was playing my game I saw that the temps on my i7 reached 98 degrees. This was alarming to me. I know and heard these kaby lake i7s run warm but I feel like thats something I should be concerned about\

is it?

WildCard999

Titan

Put your hand on the pump while the system is running, should feel a small vibration if it's working correctly.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014

I cant feel it on the pump connected to the slot itself but i feel a vibration on the tubes for sure

WildCard999

Titan
If memory serves me correctly Corsair Link should provide your pump RPM's, try downloading that and see if anything is at zero.

If that shows that it's running then I'd thoroughly clean the system/AIO of dust then reapply thermal paste on the CPU and see if the temps go down. Also besides CoreTemp monitor the temps with HWmonitor just to double check them.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014

okay so where should I see the fan rpm on corsair link? I dont see anything about fans under the cpu tab. only temps and load %.

Also, just to make sure, is CPU_fan1 a good place to have the cord from the pump plugged into the mobo?

WildCard999

Titan

I'm not sure, it's been quite awhile since I've used that program, I thought there was a option for the pump but maybe not.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
So I feel like a total boob.....

I took off my cooler to check the thermal paste and possibly replace the cooler and low and behold the thermal paste was dry and crusty. Which was weird to me because it was installed maybe a year ago into this pc I built. I’ve had the cooler for years now.
Anyway I thought it was weird so I checked my thermal paste box and the expiration or “shelf life” of that thermal paste ended..two years before I put it on...sigh..... what a dummy.

Bought new thermal paste and now my idle temps ran in the 30s. And then I stressed the cpu with CPU-z and the highest temp was 84 degrees. Is that pretty good?

I did buy a new h100i PRO cooler just Incase so I could do everything in one sitting...do you think I’ll get cooler temps compared to this older h100i v2? If so I may keep it and install it...

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
After about 10 minutes they are jumping to the 60s at idle again...

but i noticed the load jumps to 15% or so corresponding with this temp jump.

if the load % is under 5% it stays in the 30s..

sorry i know nothing of temps and what is normal

WildCard999

Titan

84C for stress testing is ok, try a game and if it goes above 80C then consider using the Pro.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014

so after about 10 minutes of playing BFV it does go from 77C to 82C. they jump around A LOT. i see 72C for a split second and 88C for a split second but they are generally within 77C to 82C