i7 7700k showing ridiculous temps

Ressive

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
So, I've been using my 7700k for a while now and since the beginning it has been very hot.
Under load in a game like F1 2016, it reaches 100 degrees C.
Under 50% load it already reaches 80 degrees C.
I don't think this is supposed to happen.
My cooler is a 212 evo by Cooler Masters.

I've tried reapplying thermal paste multiple times, and have tried different brands.
Should I be buying a better cooler (AIO watercooler?) Or is there another way to fix this.

Delidding is something I want to avoid if possible because I'm affraid of destroying my CPU.

R.

edit: Yes I am aware that it's a known problem with the 7700k, but I want to make sure before buying a expensive watercooling.
I'm running stock frequencies.

Try setting the case on your desk. Open the side panel. Aim a strong floor fan at it blowing air at the open case. Then see what temps you get. That way you know the heatsink is being constantly supplied with cool air.

Temps stay high: If it still has temperature problems with such a large supply of cool air. Then you know there is some hardware issue. Perhaps the heat pipes have a leak for the cooler. Maybe the motherboard is using too high of an automatic vcore. The CPU is defective.

Heatpipes work by evaporative cooling. The CPU heats up a liquid which evaporates and cools the CPU. The cooler end of the pipe draws out that heat and cools the gas. It condenses and returns to the CPU. You won’t know if it is a cooler issue without trying the cooler on another CPU or replacing the cooler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

If it is a motherboard voltage issue. Try going into the OC settings and set a manual VCore. Try a 1.2V vcore for starters. If there is some fundamental issue with the motherboard. You won’t know unless you know the CPU and heatsink operate normally on another motherboard.

If the CPU has some fundamental problem. You won’t know unless you delid it and destroy your warranty or you know the other parts are good through independent testing.

If you are still within your return window. Return these parts one at a time or all at once for replacements. Unless you can identify the cause. It comes down to trial and error.

Temps come down: You have a problem with case airflow. The hot air in the case is not being replaced efficiently enough with cool air. A heatsink won’t work if it is just recirculating hot air.

If a fan is being used with a filter. It should be a high static pressure fan. The filter to fan intake needs to be a closed system. Air will follow the path of least resistance. So, if the filter is spaced away from the fan and the fan can simply draw air from inside the case. It will do so and just recirculate hot air. Same goes with a non-high static pressure fan. They allow air to recirculate.

Airflow should be front and bottom intake. While rear and top are exhaust. It is generally best to avoid side vent fans as they disrupt air flow. I would want at least 1x120mm front intake and 1x120mm rear exhaust. With an i7-7700K and mid range GPU.

How are you measuring temperatures?
at 100c, the cpu should be slowing down or shutting off.

What is your temperature at idle?

If it is much more than 10-15c. over ambient, then there is something wrong with your cooler, the installation, or airflow into your case.

While the cm hyper 212 is popular, it is not a high end cooler nor is it easy to install.
If the cooler is not setting level on the cpu die, cooling efficiency will suffer.

Under load, what does CPU-Z say your vcore is?
If it is higher than 1.4v, you have a too high overclock which will cause excessive temperatures.

What is your case, and what is your graphics card?
A good case will have two 120mm front intakes or better.

Do you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

The Cooler you are using is more of a budget cooler so I wouldn't expect much from that.

No, you don't need water cooling, get a good high quality air cooler like the NH D14 or NH D15, NH U14. It takes a very expensive HIGH END AIO to match those.

As the others have said airflow may also be an issue in your case.

Ressive

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

I've tried reapplying it multiple times, even with help of a friend who is also convinced it was placed correctly.
Fan is spinning at max rpm.
VCORE: 1.184V
cpu voltage (dont know the difference): 1.176

Ressive

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

I've used HWinfo and afterburner, both giving about the same temps.

Idling (while using chrome): temps are 40-45 degrees, which is way to high. I'm going to try what Velocityg4 said with a big fan to test if case flow is bad. Case is a Phanteks p400s tempered glass edition btw.

It indeed is power throttling when overheating to 100 degrees.

Voltages under full load in AIDA 64 with CPU and FPU enabled 1.248V
Case: phanteks p400s tempered glass edition
GPU: MSI R9 390 8g Gaming

Ressive

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

I'm going to try using a big fan.

The case fans are the stock fans that where already in there. These are indeed 120mm fans, 1 in front, 1 in the back.

If none of this works I will indeed ask for replacements.

Well your voltage is fine, not going to cause any issues there.

So I still say replace the cooler with a higher end one.

$35 cooler on a $300+ CPU?

Ressive

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

Already knew this was going to be a temporary solution.
I was on a fixed budget and was already planning on getting a better one later on. Guess that time has come.

Any suggestions on a good cooler?

I have the very similarly performing Cryorig H7 cooler and it keeps my 7700K cool enough, max temp in Prime95 is 86C; average temp while gaming is ~72C with a manual vcore of 1.225V.

So I think there is something wrong with your cooler for it to be doing so poorly. It should only be 1-2C difference in the H7.

*Suggestions with your P400 case, it won't fit a tall air cooler so I'd suggest a 240mm or 280mm AiO. I have been looking at the EVGA CLC 280 and the NZXT Kraken X62; but those carry a premium price compared to the similarly performing Corsair H110i. All three of those coolers use the same Asetek radiator.

I am using a Noctua NH D15 on my I7 7700K @ 4.8 GHz.

Keeps it cool.

DSC_5994.JPG

Noctua NH-D15 here on my 7700K as well....
My case width only allowed for a single fan in between the stacks, I use the other supplied Noctua fan as a case intake fan....both fans set to medium, can't really hear them in Corsair 100R case...

30C idle, 59-60C gaming, 64C under Intel stress test, 73C in Prime 95/small FFTs at stock clocks; as I am on a 60 Hz monitor (LED TV), any extra FPS with a GTX1060 would be pointless, so stock clocks for now.... :)

I know what you mean about the case, my 12 YO Cooler Master case was about the same dimensions as your case is.

So I upgraded to the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Pro, much bigger case. And it has cable management unlike my old case that had none.

yes, the 2nd fan sits a tad higher for RAM clearance, so was about a half inch too high for my smallish case...; but, as case intake fan, it really only sits a few extra inches away form the stack anyway, although temps were just fine even running single fan only, truthfully...

But, the Noctua rocks at only $90 or so...I can hardly hear my PC at all....quiet darn fans!

Oh yeah, I can't even hear mine unless I am gaming or something then they spin up to 1,500 RPM.

Only way I can hear anything normally is if I put my ear right next to the case, and the case has top and front mesh so it's wide open for airflow.

One would have to spend a lot on an AIO or custom loop to beat this cooler.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
i7 7700K (and non-K) has heat spike issues, even Intel says it does.

I fixed that issue with mine by undervolting it (used to spike to 83-85C, now tops at 62C), try that if you're not overclocking your 7700K.

http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/?

Most of what I have seen has been the following:

Inferior cooling setups.... IE Budget coolers and or lower end AIO's.
Improper cooler installation.
Inferior case airflow.
Not updating BIOS to the latest vers.
Overvolting to crazy levels to get to the magic 5.0GHz.

Nothing has really changed in the past 20+ years.... Most of the issues are between the chair and the keyboard as are most computer issues in general.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Intel changed to TIM back with Ivy Bridge (which also had heat issues) and the poor quality TIM is largely to do with this (hence why a lot of delidders saw a huge drop with their i7 7700K's), like I said even my i7 7700 had heat issues and I've been building PC's since the mid 90's, hottest CPU I've had in many years.

Yeah, some of those cases are still pretty narrow or so it seems.

I said MOST.

I am sure there are some that have problems, but a small percentage like with most things.

Nothing is or has ever been perfect 100% of the time that is man made.

This thing has been overblown like most things seem to be on the internet, much worse these days with social media, more so than ever before.

I think YT has done more damage than it has good overall in general with the computer videos etc.

Just look at all of the AIO issues here on TH... And that's just here.... The YT guys have been pushing those as the new thing to have for awhile now.

Mine has never seen anything resembling hot, it is as it was out of the box.

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016
Fact is these CPU'S run hotter. Slapping a 212 on these cpu's is flat out a waste of time and money.

The biggest problem, I see is people not doing their due diligence when considering cooling, case, ect.

It's just laziness on the part of some builders, it's easier to watch a couple of videos(see the bling and or the cheap way out) and then apply a little confirmation bias.

As for delidding, I think it's more to do with the IHS not making good contact than the TIM itself. Not that it has mattered on my non delidded 7700k with a NH-D15S, and a case with the air flow to support such a cooler and CPU.

I have yet to see a my CPU is running hot with a NH-D15 post.