Question i7 7700K (Stock) hitting 100°C with Corsair HydroSeries 100 is default thermal paste to blame?

Juan the FEAMAN

Commendable
May 10, 2019
I am seeing temps peaks of 100°C on CorsairLink for my processors when CPU load is increased, no OC´ing, altough I would like to, I´m afraid to do so given these temps. I run the intel processor diagnostic tool and it passed, but I am worried about these temps. Would like to fix this so I can push the system. MSI motherboard, Corsair Vengance RAM @ 64GB. Any suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks in advance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No that is not normal.

What is the core voltage of the CPU getting to under load? Many stock motherboard settings go way overboard to make sure every CPU will work.

If you have had that CPU cooler for a while it is a sign that the pump is no longer working.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
We need more info - what is being described and recommended isn't necessarily all to the story.

Does the temp decrease when there is no load, or does it stay at 100C?

Does the temp increase without load from a cold bootup, or does the CPU temp remain consistent -at around 30-35C or so? (depending on your ambient room temp)

Did this cooler work correctly before now, or is this a new install?

How is the system oriented? Is the radiator on the top, front or back of the case? If front or back, is the tubing oriented at the top or bottom of the radiator?

Is the pump running? Does LINK show pump RPM? Does the tubing vibrate if you are to hold onto them?

When the CPU is showing 100C, is the radiator cold, warm or very hot?

Reactions: Juan the FEAMAN

Juan the FEAMAN

Commendable
May 10, 2019
You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot. heres the temperature under high load for one of the CPUs, heres the CPU_Z output (around 1.0V)

It only gets hot during high loads and quickly drops back to around 40.

When I boot its always at reasonable temps

Unfortunately I don´t know if it worked well before, as I wasnt too careful and didn´t pay much attention (I wasn´t aware what to pay attention to). Its a couple of years old and has worked a lot.

The radiator is on top, as you can see here.

Pump RPM is around 2000.

There is some vibration, but it doesn´t seem wrong. The radiator seems cold actually, but the hoses are very hot, one much more than the other actually.

Last edited:

Juan the FEAMAN

Commendable
May 10, 2019
We need more info - what is being described and recommended isn't necessarily all to the story.

Does the temp decrease when there is no load, or does it stay at 100C?

Does the temp increase without load from a cold bootup, or does the CPU temp remain consistent -at around 30-35C or so? (depending on your ambient room temp)

Did this cooler work correctly before now, or is this a new install?

How is the system oriented? Is the radiator on the top, front or back of the case? If front or back, is the tubing oriented at the top or bottom of the radiator?

Is the pump running? Does LINK show pump RPM? Does the tubing vibrate if you are to hold onto them?

When the CPU is showing 100C, is the radiator cold, warm or very hot?

Thanks a lot. heres the temperature under high load for one of the CPUs, heres the CPU_Z output (around 1.0V)

It only gets hot during high loads and quickly drops back to around 40.

When I boot its always at reasonable temps

Unfortunately I don´t know if it worked well before, as I wasnt too careful and didn´t pay much attention (I wasn´t aware what to pay attention to). Its a couple of years old and has worked a lot.

The radiator is on top, as you can see here.

Pump RPM is around 2000.

There is some vibration, but it doesn´t seem wrong. The radiator seems cold actually, but the hoses are very hot, one much more than the other actually.

Juan the FEAMAN

Commendable
May 10, 2019
G_q3OifufTLtujQK8xrxkZuWbWpPmfQekB2NszeJkTpvMPQ4kTAmesR1fgdwh1wY3GkPpQhexC6pOwVF-dHSIWWmEF7EQ9hL8C2kEvGvivK2WkMCZF5Zr18YnO8dcbULb0v27ucKVw9IN2862TyW46-t6LxQm_1hdrCqu6V_LbKBlAYqVuLu6GPCdNX-_VNvMUykf9zUrw8lAAy-aCHENzV2Gl2vE3AUtpRPRZd0bwtQb6m9p29yuF1PcozbPuhsmUDZGcaSAsb7jRdIQUliMZgKMIS1C_yQyDTEpzKn7hwp5tM_jl29XKQEMBgI-1uAjytN_B3mPds_AdlbqDBVSQIdL51FsbpY20Y3vOQ9XlHMmXHLqYjkQKEgJJROFJLbvkuRiz-W4ybL-OM7NTaeouveFwTKPrwQYz98w9rvZtOILy6eEQyIIBXirOWu0rxH3rxMQr-7AAAkbZmFd2O9XzOR9BlCFkmW8VfnAf80PzJdfVt3lAtTWxuTDwPOq2f8ptm0nKYBz3ji4-J4WRWWpzxV9FClMzSzi3gt7L-Tumn4iIlyO6BUgzhWWeKsKLM2P3B-pkSo8yNJP6KrdYPC415UbrjfKRV0TRxflutA3YUb80IcQqW_OWCiQER68SVn_LC2uGSb5aJCUnKOd-cTD6UxixNYO1bv=w1293-h970-no

I just removed the pump head to take a look at the paste application and this is what I found... Was it all wrong? It definitely look like it wasn´t quite uniform....

That's appears to be about the norm for paste that was factory applied. You could try some new paste and see if it makes a difference in temps.

You say one hose is very much hotter than the other, but is the other warm at all or cold? If it's cold it could very well indicate a flow problem within the pump. How old is the cooler? Still under warranty? You may try and contact corsair for an rma.

Reactions: Juan the FEAMAN

Juan the FEAMAN

Commendable
May 10, 2019
That's appears to be about the norm for paste that was factory applied. You could try some new paste and see if it makes a difference in temps.

You say one hose is very much hotter than the other, but is the other warm at all or cold? If it's cold it could very well indicate a flow problem within the pump. How old is the cooler? Still under warranty? You may try and contact corsair for an rma.

So it just turned two years old, probably not under warranty as I recall. I just got some thermal grizzly kryonaut which was highly recommended on youtube and will go through some tutorials on cleaning and installation. Will keep y´all posted.

Thanks