i7-7700k Temperatures Are Way Too High 4 Me

James_645

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
I am using Cooler Master Hyper 212X cooler. Idle temperatures vary from 40-45 degrees and while playing games it stays between 70-100 degrees celsius. I reckon that's way too high.. What should I do?

Solution
Have you checked your voltages? There were a few motherboards out there that on Auto where applying to much voltage to these chips, which will definitely create extra heat. Depending on your case, ambient temps, and the game you are playing (some are more CPU intensive) 70 C is likely acceptable, 100 not so much.

I got 5 C drop from lapping my 212 EVO back when I had my 4690K, adding a second fan was worth another 1-2C. Here's a picture after lapping:

evo212.jpg

I did lap the CPU as well. At least a little. I stopped when I started to get into the copper.

if its jumping from 70-100 at full load then the CPU cooler is not mounted properly are you overcocked? if its mounted properly?
then you need the better cooler as the 7700K is already known to produce a lot of heat

James_645

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

I haven't overclocked, but that cooler should keep it at way lower temperature from what I have searched. I've seen people claiming to get 70-80 under full load with 212 Evo.

Have you checked your voltages? There were a few motherboards out there that on Auto where applying to much voltage to these chips, which will definitely create extra heat. Depending on your case, ambient temps, and the game you are playing (some are more CPU intensive) 70 C is likely acceptable, 100 not so much.

I got 5 C drop from lapping my 212 EVO back when I had my 4690K, adding a second fan was worth another 1-2C. Here's a picture after lapping:

evo212.jpg

I did lap the CPU as well. At least a little. I stopped when I started to get into the copper.

Solution

James_645

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

My CPU, cooler and MoBo are just 2 weeks old. But I'll reapply the thermal paste in hope that it will fix the problem.

What does that have to do with voltages? This was some of the latest motherboards that were doing this actually from one of the major manufacturers.... Hopefully it has been resolved in a BIOS update. My latest build is using one the motherboards from this manufacturer (its not one of these specific boards and a 7700k), but I did not experience the this specific problem. However it's still something you may want to look out for as I've seen other users complaining of similar problems.