i7 7700k Temperatures

Apr 2, 2018
Hi

I am currently using core i7 7700k at its default clock speed 4.2 - 4.5 ghz on a Gigabyte Gaming B8 motherboard. The CPU is not more than a year aged. Now for last few weeks its becoming my concern that may be my CPU is running hot even with a liquid cooler.

I am using a Corsair H100i V2 with Cryorig CP7 thermal compound.

Now during loading or playing games like Far Cry 5 or NFS Payback at ultra settings the CPU reaches 75c, and the average temps used to be 60-65c.

While not playing and just browsing or nothing, the Corsair link sometimes shows max temp for the CPU package - 68c. I get idle like 36-38c
GPU temp rises till 70c while gaming

Now points to be mentioned:

# These things are monitored at an ambient temp of 28-32c - Its summer here.
# Mobo BIOS- F7, Everything is default except CPU graphics is disabled and CPU fan is set to PWM from smart fan control
# In corsair link no matter if i select performance or balanced profile - it dose not make any difference in CPU temp or may be 1c.
# Thermal paste has been replaced 3-4 days ago but still same.
# CPU pump block is installed properly.

My Full Spec:
i7 7700k
Gigabyte Gaming B8 Mobo
Geil EVO X 8GB DDR4 @2133mhz (If i activate XMP to run it on 2400mhz then the CPU temp increases by 2c)
Asus Strix GTX 960 4GB
Corsair VS650w
Adata 128GB SSD for OS
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

In a TT View 31 case with 3 front TT Riing 120 intake fans, one TT thunderblade intake fan at bottom,
and one TT 120 Riing exhaust at the back of the case.
Also there is a little (May be 40mm) fan just under the GPU as exhaust.

Now are those temps for the CPU good? Should i be worried or not? I have seen other 7700k or 8700k cpus never crossing 60-65c in full load in other closed loop liquid coolers. Does applying pastes like thermal grizzly kryonaut can improve my temps?

Looking for your valuable suggestions. Thank you

Solution
Your temps are perfectly normal. The 7700k will thermal throttle at 100C. Anything under 80C is fine for daily use. The 7700k is just a hot CPU.

I use Grizzly Kryonaut on my rigs and it does drop temps, but by a couple of degrees. It is not worth the extra cost. Since your temps are fine, then I would not worry about better thermal grease.

The only noticeable way of dropping your temps is to get a different case. While that case looks very nice and is probably a good case, all of the tempered glass really hurts airflow.

But if it were me, I would not change a thing.
Your temps are perfectly normal. The 7700k will thermal throttle at 100C. Anything under 80C is fine for daily use. The 7700k is just a hot CPU.

I use Grizzly Kryonaut on my rigs and it does drop temps, but by a couple of degrees. It is not worth the extra cost. Since your temps are fine, then I would not worry about better thermal grease.

The only noticeable way of dropping your temps is to get a different case. While that case looks very nice and is probably a good case, all of the tempered glass really hurts airflow.

But if it were me, I would not change a thing.

Solution

octavecode

Distinguished
For 32C ambient those temps are fine..What i did with my 7700K in order to get lower temps was to undervolt it cause i wasn't happy with my board's stock settings..It is not recommended but if you know what you are doing then go for it.

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
I have a very similar rig and when up around 4.5ghs I get temps in the low 70s. To test how high the OC drives up your temp --- To run with no overClocking:

Click the Start button and click Settings.
Click System.
Click 'Power&Sleep'.
On the right side click 'Additional Power Settings'.
Click 'Change Plan Settings' for your plan.
Click 'Changed Advanced Power Settings'. Power Options Dialog appears.
Click the + next to 'Processor Power Management'.
Open and set 'Maximun Processor State' to 99%.

Windows will now set your CPU overclocking to zero. This remains in effect until you change it back. I would expect your max cpu temps to be in the high 60s to low 70s. Experiment with different values to throttle down.

70-75C is fine, but no point in worrying about any hypothetical OC, as the GTX960 is not going any faster at 1080P anyway.

Balanced power plan works flawless on my board, allowing the CPU to go down to 800-1000 MHz at 32C when just loafing around the forums and Youtube, and, run all four cores at 4.5 GHz (XMP-3200 MHz, MCE enabled)under a real mission critical load (such as Battlefield 1, etc.!)

Apr 2, 2018

So it seems investing on a liquid cooler like H100i V2 is not worth. People using air cooler like CRYORIG H7 are getting lower max temp on the same CPU.
:??: All i wanted a lower max temp keeping everything on default.

You got what you wanted. Your temps are perfectly fine on default settings.

I am not sure what you are seeing with people using a H7, but there are many factors that go into CPU temps apart from the cooler. 1st and foremost, every CPU silicon is different. Second, are they using a test bench for the H7. An open air test bench is going to be a lot cooler than a system in a case. Speaking of cases, your case airflow has a big impact on cooling. Ambient temperatures are also very important as that is your baseline.

A few things you can try is to move your radiator. See if you get lower temps from the front or the top. Also, go to Corsair link and change your pump to performance mode. It will be louder but will run faster. Remove the side panel and see if you get drops in temps. If you get big drops in temps, then your airflow in the case is causing higher temps.

In the end, even if you try all of the things suggested, you will not get 1fps difference in games. Your CPU will perform exactly the same at 75C as it does at 70C.

TRENDING THREADS