i7 7700k vs i7 6700k

Clockwork Catz

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
I know the 7700k is better in terms of clock speeds, and in the cases I have found has even been priced less then the 6600k, but I have heard that the 7700k is having some issues with temperature and especially recently there have been a lot of cases where it is running very warm even at just idle. I don't mind the lower clock speeds of the 6700k, and the 7700k (on the websites I'm looking at) is sometimes as much as $10 less, but I'm wondering if I should consider getting a 6600k instead despite this because of the temperature issues the 7700k is known to have. I am getting a Noctua NH-D15 fan, which I know is a pretty powerful fan, but I feel like I'm still going to run into high temps with the 7700k if I am overclocking and gaming, even with the expensive fan. Any suggestions would be appreciated and maybe someone with the setup I'm looking at could provide some insight, thanks!

Solution
The 7700k is just an oced 6700k the warmer temps are due to this. There is no reason whatsoever to pick skylake over kaby lake at the same price... If you find a 6700k for $30-40 cheaper as you sometimes can, don't plan to oc above 4.7 and the savings allow you to upgrade your GPU do it. If the above isn't the case get a kaby lake processor

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The 7700k is just an oced 6700k the warmer temps are due to this. There is no reason whatsoever to pick skylake over kaby lake at the same price... If you find a 6700k for $30-40 cheaper as you sometimes can, don't plan to oc above 4.7 and the savings allow you to upgrade your GPU do it. If the above isn't the case get a kaby lake processor

Solution