i7 7700k vs Ryzen 2600x vs i5 8400 vs i5 8600k?

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Which one out of these should I pick? My budget is limited so if I could save some money from the NON K processor (saving some money + saving money that I'll spend on cooler)

I am not looking forward to overclocking unless needed. My main focus is on gaming and photo/video editing in future.

Please guide me. . .

I thought of 7700k since I was getting a Gigabyte B8 Gaming mobo for $65 from my cousin but don't really want to spend the extra money if it's not worth that much. Also the extra money on a cooler.

Solution
At op, if your main usage is photo editing, using lightroom, photoshop and other adobe software, you dont really need to care about more than 4 cores as the sofware doesnt really benefit from more cores, it eeally needs faster single core performance of course this have to do with the effects and kind of work you do as some effects will use single core performance. That being said you wont notice much of a difference in performance from ryzen to intel just a few seconds a part in rendering high res images. Now you would benefit from large ram 16gb ideally 32gb if working on high res and 64gb if you can afford it. Also fast storage disk will make saving and loading times faster and you would apreciate that.
Personally I would go the 8400 route especially as you are not looking to overclock and it moves you to 8th Gen with the opportunity to upgrade to 9th Gen later down the road.

The 8400 is a very good gaming CPU and with six full cores will also be good on the productivity side for photo/editing. More importantly it is cost effective though make sure you get a Z370 motherboard so that you can later upgrade to the 9th Gen 8 cores for Intel.

Your looking at roughly $180 for the 8400 and around $100 for say the MSI Z370 A Pro, factoring 16GB of DDR4 3000 RAM at 2 x 8GB will cost another $129..Team Group Vulcan...Though you can drop that to 8GB but 16GB would be better, especially for the editing side...

Thats my thoughts, but do not rule out the Ryzen 2600 as it will also give you very good value, especially on the Productivity side at roughly the same cost...

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

The least I could get the 8th gen Z370 mobo in my country is for $160.

That's why I preferred the 7700k since I'm getting Gigabyte B8 at $65 from my cousin. What would you say in that case?

The i7 7700k will cost me $260 in used, $65 mobo and $40 cooler. Total 360 for the package. I know I can't overclock the processor with this motherboard but 7700 isn't available right now.

Apart from that, the Ryzen one will cost me the same since the motherboard will be expensive, saving me $40-50 only.

The 8400 costs $362 with the motherboard you recommended. Otherwise with the H310 chipset, this package will cost me $300, saving only $60.

On balance, the 7700K and mobo come to $360 and the 8400 at $362, so 8400 still wins out especially as you are not going backwards on the platform...The only reason for the Z370 is for future upgradability but not key, so you can go for a lesser motherboard that will save you money.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Well in that case, that's preferable since in the past, my main issue had been with motherboards since I couldn't upgrade due to it.

How about Ryzen 2600k for a total of $320 with pro+motherboard? The motherboard will be Asus Prime B350-M E

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Is the 2600x overclockable with the stock cooler and the motherboard I've mentioned?

Also I don't know how different are the i5 and i7 in terms of performance. My tasks aren't very HEAVY though.

Yes you can overclock with the Ryzen stock cooler but not really worth it as its boosts to maximum very well. From a personal perspective, I would go the 8400 route is it is pretty much stress free, just works out of the boa not having to worry about RAM issues etc. It will also give you maximum frame rates for gaming at a good price. For me just a bit better for gaming and more than good enough for productivity so long as we are not talking professional productivity work...Of course you can then later move to the 8 cores 16 threads from the new Intel's out in October...

But that is just my own personal choice...

From price/performance view for your future "photo/video editing " need from the red team, I would grab 2600 or 2600x with a decent B450 mainboard.
If you OC, it is better to get 2600 and buy a good cooler, you will need an extra cooler anyhow.
If you do not OC, better get 2600x. The included cooler is good.
Anyother option is if you can find Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700x with the same price as 2600x like here, where I live.

If you like the blue team more, I would go for I5 8400 (non-OC), I5 8600k or I7 8700k, just pick according to your budget.
For the editing stuffs? I7 8700k is the better option.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

I just confirmed, Ryzen isn't a good idea in my country due to the resale value. The resale value is really bad.

For gaming the 8600K actually wins hands down and in the very review that you posted he makes that clear..Any review you care to mention will also show the 8600K, especially overclocked wins by a fair margin over the 2600x and the 2700x no less. Where productivity is concerned the 2600x and the 2700x takes it.

More importantly its actually the 8400 versus the 2600x and here you go with the 8400 matching the 2600x in games..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ats6AYz6Z3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0lMhEY5BE

we are talking price for perf, and, i watched it, you won't notice much diff, if any. you can't see 105 fps, lol

best overall budget deal is the 2600x. whatever, go buy what you want. in those videos, the ryzen blows the i5 out of the water. look at the extreme cpu usage from intel! hahaha. I don't like intel. they like to rip folks off, especially gullible ones

Hey Peter, this is a forum where people ask questions for help and don't need to be put down in any way...Civility goes a long way and you can make your point without being nasty...Now you may hate Intel and that is fine but this is not the place for that...Make your suggestion and be done with...

And obviously you do care otherwise you would not have been so crass with your comments..

well, i care about AMD and their health as a company. without them, there is NO competition and the 1000 lb gorilla gets it all, as usual. and everyone keeps touting them as the end-all, and for a few fps that you can't even see or notice.

notice in your video how cool and relaxed the 2600x is under load? it's baked in by design. it's AMD that makes Intel do stuff, like offer more cores!

if you are good with that state of affairs, then keep on truckin'

Oh you poor child, your Mom will tuck you in bed and read you some nice bedtimes stories about the big bad wolf Intel and the wonderful fairy queen AMD...enjoy.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
At op, if your main usage is photo editing, using lightroom, photoshop and other adobe software, you dont really need to care about more than 4 cores as the sofware doesnt really benefit from more cores, it eeally needs faster single core performance of course this have to do with the effects and kind of work you do as some effects will use single core performance. That being said you wont notice much of a difference in performance from ryzen to intel just a few seconds a part in rendering high res images. Now you would benefit from large ram 16gb ideally 32gb if working on high res and 64gb if you can afford it. Also fast storage disk will make saving and loading times faster and you would apreciate that.

Solution