i7-7700k Weird Temps

Marios_12

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Hello guys.

After 4 months of saving i finally purchased my gaming pc which specs are: 7700k , 16gb of ram,asus z270e , masterbox 5 , my current graphics card is gtx 650... and i am buying the new rx 580 this month.But for a reason my cpu has a weird temp peaks. It goes from 43 to 58 and again back. Is it normal ? This is the picture from msi afterburner. Thank you.P.S I am a little worried cause i spent 1k for these parts and since i worked for those i dont want to screw things up ;)
image: ibb.co/f5cc0k http:// is missing from the url [ 1st post i dont know how to use images ]

Solution

Marios_12

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Thank you guys for the feedback. My liquid cooling is Seedan 120M from coolermaster. I am curious to use a software like asus tweak 2 where you can set manually your cpu and gpu fan speed. I am try this out first and see what's the results . What's your opinion about that?

Your temps are fine, every modern cpu has ~10 degrees celsius temp spikes during normal operation.
The i7 7700k is 4.5ghz on turbo boost so every 7700k could hit that. I suggest 4.7ghz (actually 4700mhz) is a good start. Just use offset voltage OC, not fixed voltage and appropiate LLC (I use LLC4) to get to a desired and stable voltage after you get a good reading (voltage+temps while stress testing- use Aida64, and also idle) on how you cpu performs on stock. You can try fixed voltage OC first to find and appropiate setting to reach using offset voltage.
P.S. For example, I keep my i7 6700k (very similar to your cpu) at 4600mhz with +90mv offset and LLC4. That gives me 1.344V or 1.328v (depending on the benchmark) while stress testing. I need +155mv to get to 4700mhz.
But keep in mind every cpu is different and your i7 7700K can be clocked higher than a skylake cpu (architecturally, they are the same, but Kaby Lake has some design optimizations) You could probably even hit 5-5.1ghz quite easily.
For stability (not just benchmarking) and lower voltages you may be more happy with a 4.9ghz core clock.

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016

Are these idle temp fluctuations?

If so what are your load temps?

Have you run any stress test at stock? You should before you begin overclocking.

1x 120mm AIO - 7700k and overclock IDK.

Turns out this is common amongst the Inel core i7 7700k:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/05/intel-dismisses-concerns-over-core-i7-7700k-temperature-problems/
The fluctuation is cause by an abrupt change in frequency to process a call/task. As long as your voltage stays under the max and temperatures don't come close to 100c during full load, this is nothing to be concerned about.

Marios_12

Prominent
May 8, 2017

My liquid cooling is Seedan 120m . Do you suggest me to buy something else?

Marios_12

Prominent
May 8, 2017

These are the temps during gaming session. Was playing h1z1. Sorry for not mentioning

Marios_12

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Cheers man ! Thanks for the info !

I think your CPU cooler is fine for now but monitor temps anyway on a regular basis. I reccommend to keep your cpu under 80C (well below the cpu max temperature) for daily use (probably not an issue as daily use is not as demanding as stress testing) while overclocked. even though the radiator isn't very large. It should perform worse than a big air cooler (bequiet Dark Rock Pro 3 in my case) though but not by much.

Solution

What dou you mean can't sync? Do you have screen tearing? That is because you drop below the refresh rate (while gaming-because of the gpu) of your monitor (and you don't have a g-sync (in your case) monitor). I recommend you get a new gpu to fully enjoy the power of that i7. Depending on your budget I reccomend an RX 580 8gb minimum. Otherwise wait for the vega gpus (realeased in June 5th-rumors) which will be minimum 400$ (lowest tier model).