Question i7 7700k with 3400MHZ Ram problem

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Hello everyone, I have an i7 7700K and Patriot Viper 4 2x4GB 3400MHZ (PV416G340C6K). My Pc was running very well on 2133Mhz RAM Speed and 4.2ghz for my CPU for more than 2 years. I had some fps drops in games so I decided to overclock my ram to 3400Mhz using XMP. After I had done overclocking, CPU temps went up from 80c to 100c on 100% usage. So I wanted to restore everything back again to normal but when I restored default settings in BIOS and set the CPU to 4.2ghz and RAM to 2133Mhz, My PC doesn't boot (Here is an image where the loading screen stuck)
20200401_235905.jpg

I tried Clearing CMOS and it didn't help. Right now, the PC only boots up when I run the RAM overclocked to 3400Mhz which makes my CPU temps high. I also think that the problem might be from my Windows 10. I am planning to buy a new liquid cooler in the future but now I need to reset the RAM speed not to harm my CPU. Here are my PC Specs:-
CPU: i7 7700K
CPU Liquid Cooler: Corsair H60 120MM
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 GAMING
Ram: Patriot Viper 4 2x4GB 3400MHZ
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING

it would be difficult o imagine solely an XMP speed causing temps that high, vice it being coincident with some other CPU overclock at the same time...

As many Asus Z270 boards by default had MCE enabled, you might want to default your BIOS to default settings, select an XMP profile of just 3200 MHz, and, check that you've not perhaps selected any sort of auto-OC presets in the BIOS.

HWMonitor will quickly show you what clock speeds are achieved on all cores...; if you see 4.5 GHz on all cores, MCE is enabled (not the core voltage as well, my own Asus Prime board shows about 1.27V max), and, there is no certainty that some of the smaller 120 mm radiators will be able to keep up...

Intended stock Intel behavior is 4.5 GHz boost on a single core, so, 4.2 GHz turbo under all-core loadings....(Disabling MCE , if enabled,might allow your temps to better be handled while awaiting a cooler)

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
it would be difficult o imagine solely an XMP speed causing temps that high, vice it being coincident with some other CPU overclock at the same time...

As many Asus Z270 boards by default had MCE enabled, you might want to default your BIOS to default settings, select an XMP profile of just 3200 MHz, and, check that you've not perhaps selected any sort of auto-OC presets in the BIOS.

HWMonitor will quickly show you what clock speeds are achieved on all cores...; if you see 4.5 GHz on all cores, MCE is enabled (not the core voltage as well, my own Asus Prime board shows about 1.27V max), and, there is no certainty that some of the smaller 120 mm radiators will be able to keep up...

Intended stock Intel behavior is 4.5 GHz boost on a single core, so, 4.2 GHz turbo under all-core loadings....(Disabling MCE , if enabled,might allow your temps to better be handled while awaiting a cooler)
I kept trying to reduce the speed as small as possible but the lowest acceptable speed is 3000Mhz and temps still high.