[SOLVED] I7-7700t with an RTX 2070 founders edition?

JoJoNoNo

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
This is kind of the same question I posted with my last thread but, I’m wondering if an I7-7700t could handle a 2070 founders edition card. I might be getting the 2070 founders edition instead of an RTX 2060. Also, do I need to overclock my CPU to equal with the GPU?

Solution
There will always be a limiting factor.
For games, usually cpu or gpu.
In your case, a 2070 will always outperform a 2060
In fast action games, the difference will be apparent, regardless of the cpu(almost)

In cpu centric games there may be no difference.
The t suffix processors are made to be energy efficient and will not perform as well as the normal parts.

I imagine that you might now own a 7700t and some sort of a graphics card, looking to upgrade graphics.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A 7700T can't be overclocked. Intel intended it to be a low power part: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-7700t-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

Performance is going to depend on the game. Worst case scenario for a 7700T + 2070:
Cpu bound games on low settings. And it doesn't necessarily have to use all the threads on your cpu. If one or 2 threads are constantly pegged at, or around 100% usage, that's also a cpu bottleneck.

This all actually depends on the type of game being played. But for the most part I think you shouldn't be facing any serious bottleneck issues, IMO.

Most of the games are GPU intensive, not CPU bound. However, with such a powerful card if you play at 1080P, then you could become CPU bound, but again, depending on the game being played.

But you’d still have decent frame rates. If you’re getting such a powerful card I’m assuming you would be going for a 2K or 4K monitor screen? What type of games do you actually play ? Is this setup for 1080p screen ?

Last edited:
There will always be a limiting factor.
For games, usually cpu or gpu.
In your case, a 2070 will always outperform a 2060
In fast action games, the difference will be apparent, regardless of the cpu(almost)

In cpu centric games there may be no difference.
The t suffix processors are made to be energy efficient and will not perform as well as the normal parts.

I imagine that you might now own a 7700t and some sort of a graphics card, looking to upgrade graphics.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Solution

JoJoNoNo

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
The pc I got unfortunately had integrated graphics but if I run on high settings on most games, I get a lower FPS rate. Can I still try the test with my integrated graphics?

JoJoNoNo

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
Yes the price always hurts because sometimes my budget is low. If I do decide to get a 2070, should I swap it out for a 2080 once I get more money? Or should I swap it for an AMD 5700 xt? Cause my budget for a gpu is kind of low (because of my father) for a mid range gpu.

TRENDING THREADS