Question i7 7820x overheating

Sep 25, 2019
Hello everyone
my cpu is i7 7820x and my AIO is corsair H115i
anyway my cpu tends to overheat while playing games(without overclocking)
in idle my cpu temp is 30-45 c , which is ok according to the internet,
while running cinerbench 20 the highest temp was 75 c which is great
BUT
while I was playing a game called Sonic mania my cpu temp is between 50-80c
there is no way a 16 bit game pushes my cpu to it's limit

this problem troubles me for a really long time and I already checked my AIO, put thermal paste but there was no significant change

And I have a friend with i7 8700k with air cooling . while he was playing sonic mania , his cpu temp was 35-40c

I really need some help with this

thx in advanace

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What frame rate are you achieving in this game? If it is 1000s of FPS then that might do it...

Try turning V-sync on.

80C is not really overheating for an Intel CPU, 95-105C are the typical TJMax. So nothing really wrong with leaving it alone.

Cinebench is a decent benchmark, but not a heavy hitter. A quick test for stability and relative performance to check for issues, about all it is good for. Equates well to gaming loads oddly enough, though not in this case.

At least a few AIOs' performance will degrade over time (often at the 18-24 month point), due to partial pump blockage from contaminants such as gunk, be they hard water deposits, rubber seal breakdown, algae-like deposits, micro-fluid leaks over time, etc...

The first gen of X299 products did not run all that cool, anyway, or, at least I don't recall anyone raving over stcok sub-70C temps on any of the models available....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That game shouldn't be hard on a 7820X, but did Sega ever remove that crappy Denuvo DRM?
They would constantly argue that these anti-tamper programs didn't affect system performance - at least, not on newer systems, but your mileage may vary.

in idle my cpu temp is 30-45 c , which is ok according to the internet,
That's a rather wide idle range...
Delidded, with a 4.5ghz OC - no cache OC yet - and running on an NH-D15S, mine idles between 35-40C.
Before I delidded, it was 4.3ghz - everything else the same - idling between 30-35C.

Sep 25, 2019
What frame rate are you achieving in this game? If it is 1000s of FPS then that might do it...

Try turning V-sync on.

80C is not really overheating for an Intel CPU, 95-105C are the typical TJMax. So nothing really wrong with leaving it alone.

Cinebench is a decent benchmark, but not a heavy hitter. A quick test for stability and relative performance to check for issues, about all it is good for. Equates well to gaming loads oddly enough, though not in this case.

i get 60 fps
It was already on v sync

Sep 25, 2019
That game shouldn't be hard on a 7820X, but did Sega ever remove that crappy Denuvo DRM?
They would constantly argue that these anti-tamper programs didn't affect system performance - at least, not on newer systems, but your mileage may vary.

That's a rather wide idle range...
Delidded, with a 4.5ghz OC - no cache OC yet - and running on an NH-D15S, mine idles between 35-40C.
Before I delidded, it was 4.3ghz - everything else the same - idling between 30-35C.

yeah there is no way i'm gonna delid my cpu , im super sacred to do that

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry I took so long, I spent most of the day swapping my parts between cases...

It's still a work in progress, but here's some of my current settings and results:
7820X @ 4.5ghz - core voltage 1.17v
Cache clock currently @ the stock 2.7ghz, but running @ 0.800v
VCCIN @ 1.90
LLC: Level 5 on X299 Prime Deluxe

Room Temp = 23C
Cinebench R20:
Lowest core = 70C, highest core = 76C

Cinebench R15:
Lowest = 68C, highest 73C

Asus Realbench 15min run:
Lowest = 74C, highest 79C

For me, the liquid metal application knocked off at least 10C overall. It just wasn't possible to go over 4.3ghz on my chip with air cooling.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019
Sorry I took so long, I spent most of the day swapping my parts between cases...

It's still a work in progress, but here's some of my current settings and results:
7820X @ 4.5ghz - core voltage 1.17v
Cache clock currently @ the stock 2.7ghz, but running @ 0.800v
VCCIN @ 1.90
LLC: Level 5 on X299 Prime Deluxe

Room Temp = 23C
Cinebench R20:
Lowest core = 70C, highest core = 76C

Cinebench R15:
Lowest = 68C, highest 73C

Asus Realbench 15min run:
Lowest = 74C, highest 79C

For me, the liquid metal application knocked off at least 10C overall. It just wasn't possible to go over 4.3ghz on my chip with air cooling.

And what is the temp when idle?