Aug 9, 2014
Current specs.
  • CPU i7 7820x
  • CPU Cooler Corsair H115i platinum
  • Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
  • RAM Corsair vengeance rgb 64 gb 2100mhz
  • GPU Aorus RTX 2080 TI gaming extreme edition
  • Power Supply Corsair AX750i
This problem ironically started after an annual clean install of windows. I didn't think anything of the slow speed at the time due to complacency I guess. 2 weeks later and I am installing the new cpu cooler, a corsair h115i platinum up from the H150i, and it is now extremely noticeable.

Task manager reads it as 1.19 Ghz. CPU-Z reads it as 1.2 Ghz. The bios reads it the same as well despite cpu-z and bios claiming it should be 4.0. I have run this build for a bit over a year now at that speed no problems. It also will not exceed 33% usage under stress testing.

Looking around I found nothing but power management suggestions. It's been on high but I tried adjusting the settings to see if it might "unstick" itself. No luck.
Lots of mention of thermal throttling, well it's temp reads 35C but I tried throttlestop bdprochet to see if it glitched. No Luck.
Seen speed step mentioned, mine has always been off but I tried switching it back and forth no luck.
Slow switch on motherboard is off but I tried switching it back and forth between boots just in case. No luck.
I did a complete reinstall of windows from usb media and a cmos reset. No luck.
Safe mode also has this issue.

The only thing I found to make a difference was to rename the intelppm.sys file so that it was unusable, which brought the CPU to it's minimum frequency but would not allow it's overclock to work.

The fact that doing so works (somewhat) makes me lean towards a software issue, but the reinstalls and resets make me think hardware. I know that intelppm.sys is for power management so obviously there is a problem occurring somewhere in there. I just need somebody a bit more knowledgeable than me to help me piece it together.

Forgot to mention I also replaced intelppm.sys with a clean new version and that did not work either.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019
try this use cmd admin enter C: \ACPI\Central Processor\CLOCK /ADD_FEATURE /CREATE=MODE=FULL\0x0=ENABLE /EXECUTE /ENABLE /SET /START press enter key then type SET and press the enter key again close cmd and restart also check system configuration msconfig to make sure all cores are activated