[SOLVED] I7 8086k not running 5ghz

ThreeDog12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2016
Hi, I recently build my new rig, cpu is an i7 8086k, which is advertised as a 5ghz turbo cpu. At 100%load in task manager it says it is peaking at 4.01ghz, turbo is enabled in bios and I'm in performance mode, what did i miss?

Solution

Keep Vcore at 1.3v and continue with Core ratio and try to find where it becomes more stable.
Don’t ever follow others' stable points every CPU is not exactly the same. Or else you will end up getting damaged your CPU. Any 8086K should have the ability to reach 5GHz at one core at least but for all cores… can’t exactly say.
Your one may/may not have the ability to...

ThreeDog12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2016

Alright, I've read that people have accomplished 5ghz on all cores easily for an overclock, but I also read that 1.3v is approximately the voltage that they use. In my bios, it says the cpu is pulling 1.35v without an overclock, so I'd my voltage going to be higher than this? Or should I try to start from there

Keep Vcore at 1.3v and continue with Core ratio and try to find where it becomes more stable.
Don’t ever follow others' stable points every CPU is not exactly the same. Or else you will end up getting damaged your CPU. Any 8086K should have the ability to reach 5GHz at one core at least but for all cores… can’t exactly say.
Your one may/may not have the ability to reach very far as you’ve seen. It’s up to you to check it out

Usually 14nm CPU can run up to 1.4v but I’m not recommend.

Solution