Ram/Memory: : Kingston 32 GB DDR4 4000MHz
Display/Monitor : ASUS PG279Q 2560x1440 165Hz
Storage/Harddrive : SAMSUNG SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
MotherBoard : MSI Z370 A Pro E7B48IMS.2B0
Power Supply : Seasonic FOCUS GX-850 80PLUS Gold 850 Watt
Case : BeQuiet Pure Base 600 Window Orange BGW20
Cooler : BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 250 w tdp

My question:

CPU ratio apply mode - 3 options = per core, turbo, all core.
CPU core voltage - default = 1.250
Long duration power limit - default = 255W
Long duration maintained - default = auto 16sec
Short duration power limit - default = 255W
CPU current limit - default = auto 193A
CPU Core voltage mode - 6 options:
Auto
Adaptive
Override
Offset
adaptive offset
override offest

CPU SA voltage - auto
CPU IO voltage - auto
CPU PLL OC voltage - auto
CPU PLL SFR voltage - auto
RING PLL SFR voltage - auto
SA PLL SFR voltage - auto
MC PLL SFR voltage - auto
CPU ST PLL voltage - auto

CPU ratio offset when running AVX - default = auto
Ring Ratio - default = auto

What do i change?
Why do i change?
What do the settings do?
Which voltage do i pick for which setting?

Last edited:
Like the 8700k, the 8086k does not have a soldered heatspreader and uses thermal paste between the die and heatspreader to transfer the heat from the processor. This paste is not a great conductor and temps start to get extremely high at about 1.35V for Vcore. You'll have to experiment with your chip to see how low you can go and still get 5.0GHz stable, there is no uniform answer to this. If you have to push a voltage higher than 1.35V, you typically have to delid the chip and replace the stock thermal compound with a liquid metal compound to improve the heat transfer away from the die in order to get temps under control.

Reactions: UknownGuest

UknownGuest

BANNED
Jun 7, 2020
Like the 8700k, the 8086k does not have a soldered heatspreader and uses thermal paste between the die and heatspreader to transfer the heat from the processor. This paste is not a great conductor and temps start to get extremely high at about 1.35V for Vcore. You'll have to experiment with your chip to see how low you can go and still get 5.0GHz stable, there is no uniform answer to this. If you have to push a voltage higher than 1.35V, you typically have to delid the chip and replace the stock thermal compound with a liquid metal compound to improve the heat transfer away from the die in order to get temps under control.

Thanks for the help, so i will have to like you said "experiment" and try what voltage will work fine also with temps, but is there danger/risk ? can i break my cpu when testing with voltages, like i really have no clue, can i set it to 1.30V or 1.250 and if the CPU doesnt like that, will the pc just not boot or whats going to happen?

Thanks for the help, so i will have to like you said "experiment" and try what voltage will work fine also with temps, but is there danger/risk ? can i break my cpu when testing with voltages, like i really have no clue, can i set it to 1.30V or 1.250 and if the CPU doesnt like that, will the pc just not boot or whats going to happen?

For core voltage you don't want to exceed 1.4V for a day-to-day overclock. As for lower voltages, they are all safe, worst case scenario if you go too low the system might fail to boot and you'll have to reset the CMOS to default to get back into BIOS and try again at a higher voltage. Most of the time though, if you run into instability you'll either see it in a stress test or Windows will crash on startup and you'll get a bluescreen error.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyBIOS Vcore% Capable
8086K5.00GHz4.80GHz1.400V100%
8086K5.10GHz4.90GHz1.412VTop 94%
8086K5.20GHz5.00GHz1.425VTop 65%
8086K5.30GHz5.10GHz1.437VTop 15%
That's Silicon Lottery's binning statistics for the 8086K.
I don't see that being stable with just 1.25-1.35vcore...

You've also left out some important information, via the PC's specs, including the cpu cooler...

4000mhz memory? :whistle:
And this is confirmed stable - Memtest86, Prime 95 Blend mode, or Aida64?

If it has even 50-100 more MHz potential is waiting (the 8086K is supposed to be stable at 5 GHz) , I'd be pleasantly surprised...

Your first step will be to see what core voltage is applied by your mainboard, and, what clock speeds/core temps are achieved with power limits removed at single core turbo or all-core turbo, preferably with an MCE-capable/enabled mainboard... (Near the very top end, there are increasingly massive power increases and temp increases for each additional 100 MHz...; no need in pushing for that last 100 MHz if it draws another 100 watts in power, and, worse yet, only results in a 1 frame/sec increase...if that)

UknownGuest

BANNED
Jun 7, 2020
If it has even 50-100 more MHz potential is waiting (the 8086K is supposed to be stable at 5 GHz) , I'd be pleasantly surprised...

Your first step will be to see what core voltage is applied by your mainboard, and, what clock speeds/core temps are achieved with power limits removed at single core turbo or all-core turbo, preferably with an MCE-capable/enabled mainboard... (Near the very top end, there are increasingly massive power increases and temp increases for each additional 100 MHz...; no need in pushing for that last 100 MHz if it draws another 100 watts in power, and, worse yet, only results in a 1 frame/sec increase...if that)

As i understood the 5 GHz is that is being adverstised, counts only for one core.
But the CPU has 6 cores. So i was told.
Right now the PC is stable with constantly 4 GHz but i see an power saving increase aswell as performance increase when overclocking.

Its totally unecessary that my CPU uses 4 GHz even when im afk and the pc isnt doing anything else but running.

I still dont know. How do i overclock?
I have showed a list of settings but cant figure out what of them do i change?

I know... i have to try set manually 4.70, 4.80 GHz and so on, keep testing if it is stable. but thats the first problem, what is the setting called with the GHz ?? i cant find it. When i search for Manual or Manually in the BIOS there is zero results.
I asume that override means the same as manual?

Can anyone really explain me all the settings i have listed above?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's no 'Express Lane' or autobahn to overclocking.
The reason that there haven't been many responses - there's over 400 views on this thread even - is because you appear to be looking to be walked-through the entire process.
There's lots of trial and error involved, and you need to know how to troubleshoot if any problems occur sooner or later.

If you just want the quick and dirty, one-button OC, then just enable the motherboard's OC Genie feature.
Keep in mind that you may need better cooling than you currently do, as the auto features tend to use more voltage than is necessary, but it guarantees the OC is stable.

UknownGuest

BANNED
Jun 7, 2020
There's no 'Express Lane' or autobahn to overclocking.
The reason that there haven't been many responses - there's over 400 views on this thread even - is because you appear to be looking to be walked-through the entire process.
There's lots of trial and error involved, and you need to know how to troubleshoot if any problems occur sooner or later.

If you just want the quick and dirty, one-button OC, then just enable the motherboard's OC Genie feature.
Keep in mind that you may need better cooling than you currently do, as the auto features tend to use more voltage than is necessary, but it guarantees the OC is stable.

No im not that kind of person that will enable a built in overclock to get insane power usage and insane temeratures, thanks no.

UknownGuest

BANNED
Jun 7, 2020
Anyone looking to figure this out, i got it working for me.
I changed a total of 15 settings in the BIOS.

1: CPU RATIO APPLY MODE = ALL CORE
2: LONG DURATION POWER LIMIT = 4096 (max setting)
3: SHORT DURATION POWER LIMIT = 4094 (max setting)
4: CPU RATIO OFFSET WHEN RUNNING AVX = 0 (optional setting)
5: CPU CORE VOLTAGE MODE = Override/Manual
6: CPU CORE VOLTAGE = Testing from 1.150 up to max 1.350
7: HYPER THREATING = ENABLED
8: C STATE = ENABLED
9: ACTIVE PROCESSOR CORES = ALL
10: CPU LOADLINE CALIBRATION MODE = Testing from 5 up to 6
11: CPU RATIO MODE = DYNAMIC
12: CPU RATIO = Testing from 4 up to 5 GHz
13: ENCHANCED TURBO = ENABLED
14: INTEL TURBO BOOST = ENABLED
15: EIST (intel speed step) = ENABLED

Basically change all those options (they are called a little diffrent on ASUS boards but similar) once youre done changing those settings just experiment what is the best working voltage and GHz for you.

For example for me im testing right now,
6: CPU CORE VOLTAGE = Testing from 1.150 up to max 1.350
12: CPU RATIO = Testing from 4 up to 5 GHz
10: CPU LOADLINE CALIBRATION MODE = Testing from 5 up to 6

Example: "test 1" = Core Ratio i used 4.60 GHz with a Cpu Core Voltage of 1.150
That was working well so i tryed pushing further.
"test 2" = Core Ratio 4.70 GHz with a Cpu Core Voltage of 1.150, after 10 minutes gameplay i got a crash (normally dont happen) so the overclock was not stable and i changed the voltage from 1.150 to 1.250, This setting worked better but also not perfect, so i tryed changing the load line calibration mode from 5 to 6.

This is how the testing works.
With the i7 8086k 4GHz 6 Threads 12 Cores, now i use
4.60 GHz with 4700 MHz instead of 4000 MHz

Its an overclock about ~15% acording to the benchmark i made with tool named OCCT.

I dont go above 4.70 GHz because temps are getting to high and its not stable/save.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.