Question I7 8086K unstable on 4.6 Ghz

Klesa

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Hi, i am newbie in OC so i just want a small OC (like 4.6 -4.9 Ghz), but as soon as i tried stressing my cpu (4.6 Ghz) the frequency went down to 4.3 Ghz. Any tips how to make it stable?

Some specs :
i7 8086K
MSI z370
GTX 1080 ti
16 GB ram 3200 Mhz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Reset factory optimized bios settings
  2. Get online and RESEARCH how, what, why when, about changing voltages, LLC, precautions, needs of OC before even changing the first value.

The only exception is XMP profiles for Ram and any other necessary values for normal operation.

OC is a hobby, not a necessity, so go learn as much as you can before doing anything, and possibly hurting/destroying the pc through lack of knowledge.

Very true. Look up a youtube video of overclocking that cpu. Learn how to oc that particular cpu and copy their setup making adjustments as needed. I would look up safe votages of not stated in the video. Make sure your temps are safe and dont exeed 80c in a benchmark run. This is how i learnt to overclock my cpu for the first time. Dont use auto voltage for overclocking as it may push the volts too high to maintain stability with higher clocks, causing damage to your cpu and thermal throttling. Overclocking isnt something to do without a guide.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That CPU boost's to 5.0ghz if temps allow stock, on all cores if muticore enhancement is enabled. So if anything it sounds like you underclocked your CPU and did something to make it unstable at those clocks. I would reset the BIOS to default like said above,

Klesa

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I tried to enable multicore enhancement but it did the same, frequency just droped to 4300 mhz in stress test. And yes i should watch some tutorials, but i just want to overclock it a bit, so i don't want to spend a couple of hours just to know how to do it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well you're not really overclocking trying for 4.6ghz you are underclocking by limiting turbo frequency to 4.6ghz. That CPU should boost past 4.6ghz stock. What does it reach in games? You may have an AVX offset set, most stress tests use AVX, if there is an AVX offset the CPU will underclock itself every time it sees an AVX workload such as in a stress test.

If it never goes past 4.3ghz stock in games it is likely some kind of throttling due to heat, power, or something else. I would download HWInfo64 open up the sensors then run a stress test and see if it says yes under any of the performance limit reasons it lists.

Klesa

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Now i tried to overclock to 4,9 ghz with AVX set to 0 and volotage 1,3 V. After like a 30 s of stress (temp around 74 degrees) the frequency dropped to 4.4 ghz again.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AVX/2 creates a huge amount of heat in a cpu, it's like running a cpu at 130% under stress testing. Fortunately, almost no games use AVX, it's a very specified instruction set used in a few professional production apps. What that means is if temp testing you should use Prime95 v26.6 small fft as that gives a 100% load as close to identical as gaming usage as possible. It does not use AVX. Later versions than 26.6 do. For actual stress/stability testing, use Asus RealBench instead.

Because of the heat output created by AVX and a few other similar instruction sets, bios now contains an AVX offset. For everyday common usage this should be -2 or -3 (200 or 300MHz) which when the cpu detects AVX usage, automatically drops your cpu speed by the set amount. So if you had a 5.0GHz OC, and offset of -2, under AVX usage, the cpu would drop to 4.8GHz and a corresponding vcore voltage drop too. This can lead to instability in high OC, so most disable (0) the offset since all they do is game.

Klesa

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Now, i just tried 4.9 ghz on 1.18 volts and temps never went over 60 degrees. I had AVX set on zero. Even with low temperatures and AVX off frequency dropped to 4.4 ghz after 30 seconds of stressing.

Klesa

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Yes I think it's low too, but maybe i found out what was causing drops : I had frequency set to "dynamic" instead of "fixed". Mybe it should be that am I right? And if can i ask what will happen if I set too low voltage for too high frequency? Because i think i did and my computer was in infinite bluescreen loop :D I had to reset bios to default manualy.