i7-8086k vs i9-9900k

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Good Evening! I'm building a new PC, centering around a 2080ti, taichi Ultimate mobo, 3200 ram(unless yall think it should be faster) and all the other bells and whistles. system will be used for gaming, 4k etc.

I already bought an i7-8086k, right before I found out the i9-9900k was about to come out. My question is:

should I sell the unopened 8086k and buy the 9900k, or just use the 8086k until I need to upgrade. Will the 8086 be a bottleneck anytime soon?

Thanks!

Solution
use the 8086k until you need to upgrade. For my money, the 8086k is a very capable cpu - plus there's the fact that the i9-9900k is currently unavailable unless you are willing to do like i did, and buy one out of UK at a somewhat elevated price ($620) - but that's still better than the scalper pricing on ebay and amazon ($999)

I am on the pre-order wait list on amazon, and on newegg - i finally got thru to a newegg CSR who was user friendly and he went and looked at the expected shipments on the 9900k - came back and said they expect another shipment of 100 units Nov 30th. There have been so few 9900k units showing up in discussions, ie from folks that actually have one in hand, and the few that did were in canada or UK.

From...
use the 8086k until you need to upgrade. For my money, the 8086k is a very capable cpu - plus there's the fact that the i9-9900k is currently unavailable unless you are willing to do like i did, and buy one out of UK at a somewhat elevated price ($620) - but that's still better than the scalper pricing on ebay and amazon ($999)

I am on the pre-order wait list on amazon, and on newegg - i finally got thru to a newegg CSR who was user friendly and he went and looked at the expected shipments on the 9900k - came back and said they expect another shipment of 100 units Nov 30th. There have been so few 9900k units showing up in discussions, ie from folks that actually have one in hand, and the few that did were in canada or UK.

From reports, intel is way behind (3.5 years on finalizing the 10mm die for the next gen CPUs, and they rehashed the architecture on the 14mm Coffee Lake CPU and can't satisfy the demand for the Coffee Lake refresh units. Heck, even the 9700K is unavailable, and pricing on the 8700k seems to have climbed a bit.

One aspect i haven't touched on, it also depends on your application - if for gaming, the 8086k should be right there at the 9900k's performance, and depending on the game, possibly better, as folks seem to be OCing it to 5.2GHz with success. I wanted the 9900K for video editing, i've already got an 8 core cpu (in my signature) but i can't get it stable above 4.3, but getting it from 4.0 to 4.3 showed me a reduction in render time that caught me by surprise, and the 5.0GHz of the 9900k just temps me, plus my X99 mobo has been buggy since the day i got it.

hope that helps some

Solution

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Yea I was about to burn 1k on amazon to get one in two days, didn't realize that was inflated pricing lol!

actually, when you read the sellers descriptions real carefully, they don't have them in hand, but are stating "due in Nov 14th to xx", and there's no guarantee they'll have them in November, to be frank.

if you're interested still, my total shipped (from UK) DHL price was $648, but that's for an OEM unit (ie no retail packaging) - as shipped to a computer mfgr in trays, so they'll be repackaging it. ALso warranty is 1 yr vs 3 yrs for a retail unit.

or if you want, there might be a way for you to take over my "pre-order" wait list place - i'm not sure how, but amazon offered a pre-order price of $529.99 vs their and newegg's stated retail price of $579.99.
One other tip for you, assuming your US located, amazon has a $125 free gift card if you sign up for their Prime American Express credit card. No annual fees, no costs, and you don't even have to use it - but you get that gift card the instant you're approved and it really was a 15 minute affair (at one point you have to call in to Amer Express). Last time they did something similiar it was a $50 credit, and i signed up, got the credit, and never did use the card - about a year later i called Chase and canceled the card altogether. Almost forgot, one other condition - you have to have an amazon prime acct, but i suspect you already do since you referenced the two day shipping

here's where i ordered from - they seemed decent to talk to (yeak i called them to get a feel for their "courtesy level")

once you punch in US and your zip code, the price in the cart automatically pulls the VAT out, and it drops to 475 Brit pounds

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i9-9900k-3.6ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-65k-in.html

i ordered yesterday, got the dhl tracking # the same day, and it's showing delivery on Monday (unless US customs wants to play with it)