I7 8086k + z370 Aorus Gaming 7

Oct 1, 2018
Hi there,
I know there are some topics about it but i am still confused how to do it.

I would be very happy and grateful if someone could guide me how to get the best OC of the 8086k with this mobo ( Aorus gaming 7 ). I mean the proper way to do that , and getting the best perfomance they can provide (My coller is a Noctua 15) If possible an explanation step by step , some pictures and details. I most want to use my pc for the sim X plane 11
and gamings like Battlefield 5.

Solution
Yeah, you can copy the settings and find out if it is stable. It will really depend on the individual CPU and the motherboard. You have a very good motherboard and the 8086k is a binned chip. So you should be able to get some decent clocks with adequate cooling.

I have a 8700k and a Gigabyte Gaming 7. This is a good guide that worked well for me. Your 8086k should be very similar. You will just be able to increase the CPU frequencies a bit more.

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/
Oct 1, 2018
thanks for your reply, it helped me to have a better understanding on the subject but all the links are refferent to other motherboards.

i cant exactly copy the settings of them, or can i ?
would be that instable ?

Yeah, you can copy the settings and find out if it is stable. It will really depend on the individual CPU and the motherboard. You have a very good motherboard and the 8086k is a binned chip. So you should be able to get some decent clocks with adequate cooling.

I have a 8700k and a Gigabyte Gaming 7. This is a good guide that worked well for me. Your 8086k should be very similar. You will just be able to increase the CPU frequencies a bit more.

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

Solution
Yeah, the Noctua NH-D15 is one of the better air coolers on the market. You may not even need to increase the vcore to get 5ghz. Just go into the bios and select CPU frequencies. Change the frequency multiplier to 50 and save and exit the bios.

See if the system boots, I think it will. Then run Cinebench r15 CPU benchmark. Watch your temps through Intel XTU. For me, Cinebench has been very reliable and if the benchmark completes without a crash, your system is 90% stable. Watch your temps during the benchmark. For me I don't want my average temps above 80C. Peaks above 80 are find, but average I like it to be below 80C. Some people let it go higher, others want it lower. It is just you personal preference.

If they system does crash, then go back to bios and set your v-cor. I would go with 1.28 volts and try again. Increase the vcore by .1 volts until the system is stable or your temps are too high. I have not OC and 8086k, so I cant say what it will do, but for about all of the modern Intel CPUs I have OC, getting the all core overclock to match the boost clock (in your case is 5ghz) does not require increased voltage which makes it very easy.

Oct 1, 2018

thank you a lot for your explanation and guiding. I was lucky to return my 8086k in time and i am wating for the i9 9900k. i thinks its a good idea right ?
the question is if the aorus gaming 7 mobo will be good enough to oc this i9 chip. i had read about it and its confirmed that the mobo will support the 9900k. Do you think it will be okey to run it with this mobo ? because i cant return it anymore, even its in the package closed.

Word is that Intel will be announcing the 9900k tomorrow on 10/8. So we should know soon. But yes, I think the 9900k will be supported on the z370 boards. They are releasing a new z390 chipset. I dont think the features will change much, but it will probably have better overclocking support. With that being said, the gaming 7 is a high end board and the z390's wont be much better. So I would not worry too much about it.

The only issue you may have is the z370 bios will probably require an update to run on the 9900k. In order to update the bios you will need an 8th gen CPU. If you have a computer store in your area they may do this for you. Or if you have a friend with an 8th gen then borrow their CPU to update your bios.

Oct 1, 2018

ohh, really ? i didnt even think about it.
i just read about the subject , and i figure out that is possible to update the bios without an cpu if the mobo has the utillity Q-flash plus. is that possible ? i searched in the manual and i saw that there is q flash plus ( dual bios ) something like that.

Dual bios is different. Dual bios saves a backup of the bios in case the bios becomes corrupted, you can change to the backup bios. I dont think Q-flash will work either as the motherboard will need to boot into the bios. Q-flash allows you to load the bios on a USB and update the bios outside of windows. But to run Q-flash you will still need to boot into the bios which requires a CPU.

Oct 1, 2018

my friend, thank you alot for your time answering me
you helped me a lot