[SOLVED] i7-8565U vs i7-7700HQ

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
These both have the same mark on PassMark. I wanna know which one performs better...the i7-7700HQ is on a laptop with two fans and i7-8565U is on a laptop with one fan...

Solution
My laptop has an I7-8565u and it is pretty mediocre on performance. Power consumption wise fairs better... Light use gets me 8-9 hours on battery.

The performance drop on this CPU under a constant load is dramatic... For example, I'm getting 730 cb on my first run of Cinebench R15(close to the 7700hq), but after 3-4 runs I'm dropping to 560 cb, which is mediocre at best. When the CPU it's colder I'm reaching 3 GHz+ all core turbo on it, but when it gets hot I'm averaging 1.9 -2 GHz all core. Even though this is a U processor when it's going to its max turbo frequency it draws 56W(well over the advertised 15W tdp - that's maybe true at 1.8 GHZ)... so it's pretty close to the 7700hq in terms of power consumption when it is going at...
Would not surprise me for the 7700HQ to perhaps fare better in sustained CPU loading scenarios due to it's higher TDP limits, and, possibly higher sustained clock speeds, despite the i7-8565U 'sounding' faster with it's peak single core turbo being 800 MHz faster at 4.6 GHz...

Naturally, depending on intended use (gaming vs. office tasks, surfing), which GPU each is equipped with can obviously heavily influence the outcome depending on the benchmark. (my wife's 7700HQ-based laptop came with a GTX1060M, but, she does not game at all)

If not gaming, make sure either has enough RAM (at least 8 GB in a laptop, IMO) and an adequately sized SSD (500 GB)...; so equipped, each should feel plenty snappy for most folks. If gaming, you want primarily GPU specs.

My laptop has an I7-8565u and it is pretty mediocre on performance. Power consumption wise fairs better... Light use gets me 8-9 hours on battery.

The performance drop on this CPU under a constant load is dramatic... For example, I'm getting 730 cb on my first run of Cinebench R15(close to the 7700hq), but after 3-4 runs I'm dropping to 560 cb, which is mediocre at best. When the CPU it's colder I'm reaching 3 GHz+ all core turbo on it, but when it gets hot I'm averaging 1.9 -2 GHz all core. Even though this is a U processor when it's going to its max turbo frequency it draws 56W(well over the advertised 15W tdp - that's maybe true at 1.8 GHZ)... so it's pretty close to the 7700hq in terms of power consumption when it is going at 100%.... after a short while it drops to their rated tdp.

So, the I7-8565u will be close to the 7700hq in short bursts, but in extensive workloads it will fall behind dramatically. That is happening because of the cooling too... laptops with U processors are usually thin and light, so they're not able to fit decent coolers in them.

The choice depends on you... if you want something portable with good battery life get a laptop with the I7 8565u, but you'll lose performance. On the other hand an I7 7700hq laptop will usually fair better in prolonged exhaustive tasks, but you'll get worse battery life and probably a heavier machine.

P. S: I have a Dell Inspiron 5480 btw.... i7 8565u, MX250, 16 gb DDR4

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS