I7-860 over i7-920

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

I find myself thinking the same, but i've been quoted several times people telling me that their either too lazy to close browsers or their heavy multitaskers or such. For a gamer with an i7, 6 GB is optimal, any more and youll lose performance.

I too am thinking of which one to get. If the i7 860 cant run dual GPUs then eh, screw it. Only reason id look into the P55 MB's is their cheap

notrace

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Would you really lose performance with over 6GB? How so? Does your CPU not know what to do with all the extra memory?

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Never heard of that happening, unused ram just sits idle, it doesn't slow the system down.

^Depends on what software you run. RAM benefits a lot in renderings and such.

The ONLY legit reason I can think of where too much RAM would be a problem is if you don't reduce pagefile. If you let Windows manage the pagefile you'd have a 24GB page file on a 12GB build! :ouch: . For a 6GB system, a 1-1.2GB page file is good or you can turn off page compleately

Acclaim

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
My question lies with the forthcoming DirectX 11 GPUs.
In a single card solution, will they be limited by the x8 PCIe bus of the P55s?
(Maybe I am not understanding this correctly, can the P55 allow for 16x PCIe for a single card by adding the two together?)

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

You'll get the full 16x with a single GPU.

Nope. That DDR3 is rated for 1.9V. Look for memory rated at 1.65 volts or less, such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231278

Also make sure you install the memory in matched pairs of sticks - 6GB makes no sense on a dual channel setup - either go for 4GB or 8GB depending on how much you think you will need.

You can get x16/x8 with the P55 ........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131410

Another thing you should know is that it really don't matter if both lanes are x8..... There is little to no difference at all.... It all comes down to the GPU's that are being used....

BTW, the 750 pwns the 920 in almost every benchmark.... The only time we say the 920 ahead was when using more than 2 GPU's and most of us can deal with 2 GPU's since 3 or more are considered overkill.....

ulysses35

Distinguished

i7 has both Turbo Boost and Hyper threading too - even if the 860 has better versions still doesnt account for the much higher memory bandwidth of the i7's

notrace

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

What? According to this (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-gaming,2403.html);
A 750 can outdo a 920 on smaller resolutions, but once you get past 1920x1200 the i7 takes off, and it performs better on all the productivity tasks...and those tests are only done with one GPU, the i5 can't support 2 as well as the i7.

You are comparing , Photoshop, Win-Rar, Win,Zip, etc..... I could care less if the 920 is faster in those apps.... Tom's is just comparing using those apps so we can see the main difference....

My comparison is mostly in games and similar benchmarks... For example : The 920 (2.66Ghz)averages 17k in 3dmark06 when it is paired with a hefty GTX 295, while the 750 (2.8Ghz) gets well over 18k using a GTX 285.... That is just one example of how the 750 destroys the 920...

As far as resolutions go that is overrated cause most users don't play at a higher res than 1900x1200... Most benchmarks are done @ 1650x1050 or 1900x1200 ..... Unless you want lame frames then yea you can go over 1900x1200... I don't see a need for more than that res ATM.....

My point of view is in fact the price / performance aspect.... While yes, you will have an overall more powerful machine with the 920/X58...When it comes to what you will save with 750/P55, the price of the 920 platform does not compensate for the amount of performance you get from the 750 platform....

notrace

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Uh yeah, I'm pretty sure the 920 has better frame rates than the 750, or equal too.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=8

And yes, as I'm not concerned with saving money, i do often use programs as WinRar and Photosop so speed in those desirable. Quite honestly, you can't rate your entire point of view of two CPU's based on one 3dmark06 test, that's obviously very flawed.

I'm pretty sure the old i7s are benched with turbo on too. It's just that turbo makes a much smaller difference, since realistically, it will only ever boost it by one speed bin.

Son, I am not rating my point of view soley on gaming purposes but if you would rather spend alot more on a 920 rig just for the .3 seconds you get in photo-shop then I guess you are entitled to you own opinion...

My point of view is based on what you spend vs. what you get.... the 920 has been out for a YEAR and it was by far the fastest CPU for under 300$ That is not the case anymore... It is what it is...

notrace

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Okay, number one please don't call me "son". I'm not your kid or gang member, and i really don't appreciate being talked down too when I'm trying to have a conversation. I understand your point and it makes sense, but I seriously think the way you process your opinion over single benchmarks alone is completely flawed. You are using words like "pwns" and "destroys" and logically they make no sense and you act like the i5 is completely superior to the i7 920 in almost every way, which it isn't. If i were to buy an i7 920 build over an i5 i would end up spending only ~50 dollars more, and for the speed purposes and better dual-GPU support, along with i9 compatibility, then why the hell not?

I never said the i5 was completely superior than the 920 , it is obvious that the 920 is a faster chip OVERALL.. Second if the word "SON" gets you irritated then I guess that was my bad... lol... Third, the reason I use "destroys" is due to the fact that there are real numbers out that point out that the 920 falls behind in several bench-marks, in my book that = destroys, specially when the chip is 80 dollars cheaper... Forth, you buy what you want, who said I am the one who decides what you end-up with? And last but not least I am not talking down to you.. I am just posting what Tom's and Anand already posted.... If the 920 tickles your feather then go ahead, I was trying to let you know what was better price/performance-wise....

notrace

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Alright well in that case, thanks for your opinion.

Well, maybe my post's did sound like the 920 ain't worth squat and I apologize for that. What I wanted you to know is that for the money the 750 simply cannot be beat... The 920 would be a smart choice IF you take advantage of all it's features....Better?

notrace

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Haha yes, that i will completely agree with :)