[SOLVED] I7 860 problems

Solution
D
Arctic MX-4 is high quality paste and better than what you have, although don't expect huge temperature increases. Cooling efficiency depends more on the heatsink and fan of the cooler rather than the paste. The paste is just a bridge.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
the hp have i5, it 73w, i7 is 95w
yea ikr but it says on the hp page it supports i7 860, actually it reaches 90 when i do prime 95 on 8 threads so i think the problem is the thermal paste i have a XXXXXX chinese one that is a little watery, i will change it with a cooler master or an arctic one and see

<MODERATOR EDIT>
PROFANITY IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN AND IS A BANNING OFFENSE!!!
Tom's is a family friendly website
WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2720853

It may support it but that doesn't mean the cooler is built for anything other than light web browsing.

Get a better aftermarket cooler.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
It may support it but that doesn't mean the cooler is built for anything other than light web browsing.

Get a better aftermarket cooler.
actually i have managed to make it run at 88 without any crashing or errors the back of the chinese thermal paste tube wasn't watery so i have put some and it dropped from 96 to 88 on prime 95 + i can't change the hp cooler am i fine? i have heard that it is okay for 45 nm cpu like that to heat

D

Deleted member 2720853

actually i have managed to make it run at 88 without any crashing or errors the back of the chinese thermal paste tube wasn't watery so i have put some and it dropped from 96 to 88 on prime 95 + i can't change the hp cooler am i fine? i have heard that it is okay for 45 nm cpu like that to heat
Does it throttle in speed? If so, cooler isn't adequate.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Nope. I had a HP prebuilt with an i7-8700 and the stock cooler. It throttled down to 3200 MHz from 4300 MHz all core. Installed a better cooler and it stood at 4300 MHz.
hmmm i don't think i can replace the cooler on this hp 8100 sff, what about buying arctic mx-4 will there be a difference between the chinese that i have and the arctic

D

Deleted member 2720853

Arctic MX-4 is high quality paste and better than what you have, although don't expect huge temperature increases. Cooling efficiency depends more on the heatsink and fan of the cooler rather than the paste. The paste is just a bridge.

Solution
it is putted in a hp 8100 so the hp cooler
So HP and Dell both like to usually use two different type of cooler types--a regular one and a 'high performance' one for the higher wattage cpus. You need the higher wattage one and everything will be cool--literally, lol. Unfortunately, I can't quickly find the cooler for your system since there are MT and SFF versions of the 8100.

In the meantime, what you can do to keep things cool is set the fan to 100% in the bios. That should keep it decent until you can get the proper cooler installed.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
So HP and Dell both like to usually use two different type of cooler types--a regular one and a 'high performance' one for the higher wattage cpus. You need the higher wattage one and everything will be cool--literally, lol. Unfortunately, I can't quickly find the cooler for your system since there are MT and SFF versions of the 8100.

In the meantime, what you can do to keep things cool is set the fan to 100% in the bios. That should keep it decent until you can get the proper cooler installed.
Yea that what i did and the max temp on prime 95 is 86 idle 47 that is better than before

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018

In the meantime, what you can do to keep things cool is set the fan to 100% in the bios. That sho have fuld keep it decent until you can get the proper cooler installed.
But i wanted to ask if there is a big difference between the chinese thermal paste that i have and the mx 4 because i have seen on a benchmark it is a 10 -14c drop from what i have so what do u think?

D

Deleted member 2720853

But i wanted to ask if there is a big difference between the chinese thermal paste that i have and the mx 4 because i have seen on a benchmark it is a 10 -14c drop from what i have so what do u think?
Once again, the heatsink and fan are the most important when it comes to cooling. You won't see the same drops. Thermal paste is just a bridge between the IHS and cooler.

I do recommend you switch that cheap paste with something of quality like the MX-4 though, don't get me wrong. But don't expect significant temp drops. You might see a 5 degree drop at max.

Last edited by a moderator:

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Once again, the heatsink and fan are the most important when it comes to cooling. You won't see the same drops. Thermal paste is just a bridge between the IHS and cooler.

I do recommend you switch that cheap paste with something of quality like the MX-4 though, don't get me wrong. But don't expect significant temp drops. You might see a 5 degree drop at max.
But how did this guy get 10-14c drop i will find it and send it to you

ccc (cheap chinese crap) is usually designed for one thing--to funnel money to the ccp by any means possible. So I wouldn't expect that combination of water and fake sh... to do anything good. Get some paste locally (whatever you can) and it will work much better.