[SOLVED] I7 860 problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
D
Arctic MX-4 is high quality paste and better than what you have, although don't expect huge temperature increases. Cooling efficiency depends more on the heatsink and fan of the cooler rather than the paste. The paste is just a bridge.
D

Deleted member 2720853

If you can't mount any other cooler in that, the MX-4 would be your best choice to get a little bit more efficient cooling

If you can't mount any other cooler in that, the MX-4 would be your best choice to get a little bit more efficient cooling
It's not going to do much since the heatsink is the wrong type. You can run 95w processors under 65w heatsinks, but you must have the fans running 100% for there to be enough headroom. Once the OP has the right heatsink installed, any paste will do like the tg7 I'm regularly using. I even use this stuff on my 95w processor/65w heatsink systems--just got to make sure that fan is running at 100%.

Way to bring politics into this. Could've left the entire first half out, you know.
Don't confuse politics with facts. What I posted were facts, not political opinions. If something is made in the usa, there's no problems with fakes and other such shady third world nonsense. This too is a fact.

Too many people with their head in the sand about who's really doing what--just follow the money and the truth easily reveals itself.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Okay and how's that relevant to the problem this user is having? Could've just said to replace that "fake water paste" with something else and be done with it.

Okay and how's that relevant to the problem this user is having? Could've just said to replace that "fake water paste" with something else and be done with it.
And how is your dragging this on any longer relevant at all to the OP? At least I was explaining some background on why the OPs ccc paste wasn't doing the job. What value is your post bringing to the topic?

So i got an i7 860 today and when it reaches 70c on prime 95 , my pc crashes so is the problem from the cpu or what

I'm a bit confused. You say 70c here. But later you cite higher temps. Which is it?

You should be able to run 85->90C all day and night without issue. But keeping it below 80C is advisable for long life.

This chip was obviously used off the market. As this is an overclockable chip, it's possible it has silicon degradation issues from being overclocked, and it was unloaded for that reason. Do you have the option to return it?

This is one reason I'm wary of K chip parts on the market.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
I'm a bit confused. You say 70c here. But later you cite higher temps. Which is it?

You should be able to run 85->90C all day and night without issue. But keeping it below 80C is advisable for long life.

This chip was obviously used off the market. As this is an overclockable chip, it's possible it has silicon degradation issues from being overclocked, and it was unloaded for that reason. Do you have the option to return it?

This is one reason I'm wary of K chip parts on the market.
It is not a k but it is overclockable i think and it was crashing on 70 bc of the ram not the cpu

Now on prime95 for 30 min max temp is 87

and yea i have an option to return it but why it is working good i will just buy a good thermal paste and the temps will drop like 4c or 5c

Idk lol someone says 85 is normal someone says under 75
You could try adding another fan to blow more air over the CPU cooler with the side panel off and replacing the thermal paste, but there is not much else you can do to make your CPU any cooler. You might reach the Intel stated max safe long term operating temperature of 72C with those changes, but that I doubt it. You also can't easily add an aftermarket cooler to the motherboard if you do have the HP 8100 SFF, because the motherboard doesn't have normal mounting hole distances for a stock Intel cooler or aftermarket cooler.

I would start saving up to build new system with new or used parts or buy a used system with at least an i7 3770. Buying the thermal paste to apply to your i7-870 wouldn't really be a waste if you do end up building a new system.