[SOLVED] I7 860 problems

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
D
Arctic MX-4 is high quality paste and better than what you have, although don't expect huge temperature increases. Cooling efficiency depends more on the heatsink and fan of the cooler rather than the paste. The paste is just a bridge.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Something is wrong on your installation of the heatsink. Download both of these and read them thoroughly to find it and correct it:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02016642
now my temps in prime95 after reseating the heatsink 80c (blend all test) but i tried fortnite when i enter a game my pc gives a black screen and shut downs, i thought it was the cpu or power supply because it is a 240w only and i have a gtx 1050, i stress tested the cpu,ram,gpu all for 20 min and it didn't shut down or anything and the temps is good 72c for gpu and 80c for cpu, is it a hardware problem or what

now my temps in prime95 after reseating the heatsink 80c (blend all test) but i tried fortnite when i enter a game my pc gives a black screen and shut downs, i thought it was the cpu or power supply because it is a 240w only and i have a gtx 1050, i stress tested the cpu,ram,gpu all for 20 min and it didn't shut down or anything and the temps is good 72c for gpu and 80c for cpu, is it a hardware problem or what
It absolutely should not be that hot. Check to see that all the fans are running. Set all the fans to 100% in the bios and see if that changes anything--it should. If it does not, there's a fan not running somewhere.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
No. My 4790k with fans at 100% in a 90F+ room only goes to 79c under full load. Otherwise it is in the 50s. And as soon as I drop the load it almost immediately comes down to the 50s indicating that the heat is being removed fast.

Yours should do the same thing.
isn't 79c and 80 the same, my idle temps is in the 50c sometimes late 40s

isn't 79c and 80 the same, my idle temps is in the 50c sometimes late 40s
Yep, pretty much the same then. The difference is that your fans are set to being stupid...er...smart and I have mine set to 100% constantly. By the time your fans ramp up, it's too late to remove the heat.

These systems are not designed for operating in the type of environment we have them in, especially with upgrades that weren't thermally tested when they were designed (like the gpu you have). These changes can change their thermal capabilities so they may overheat like yours does. That's why I error on the side of caution and give these suckers all the cooling they can handle if I know they're going to be hurting in the heat.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Yep, pretty much the same then. The difference is that your fans are set to being stupid...er...smart and I have mine set to 100% constantly. By the time your fans ramp up, it's too late to remove the heat.

These systems are not designed for operating in the type of environment we have them in, especially with upgrades that weren't thermally tested when they were designed (like the gpu you have). These changes can change their thermal capabilities so they may overheat like yours does. That's why I error on the side of caution and give these suckers all the cooling they can handle if I know they're going to be hurting in the heat.
Fans at 100% will sound like a jet

Fans at 100% will sound like a jet
Well you can either cool it or let it cook. :rolleyes: You can cool the room down and the pc would cool down too. But if you insist on running it outside of design parameters without any adjustments, expect failures.

Personally, I don't understand why people get so pissy over sound. Don't like the sound, get a mac. The original PCs didn't have pwm fans and they ran forever because they actually stayed cool instead of cooking.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Well you can either cool it or let it cook. :rolleyes: You can cool the room down and the pc would cool down too. But if you insist on running it outside of design parameters without any adjustments, expect failures.

Personally, I don't understand why people get so pissy over sound. Don't like the sound, get a mac. The original PCs didn't have pwm fans and they ran forever because they actually stayed cool instead of cooking.
lol i understand you but i don't think 80c would damage the cpu (it is not running at 80c) all the time, the average temps while im using it is 72c so i think that is considered safe

lol i understand you but i don't think 80c would damage the cpu (it is not running at 80c) all the time, the average temps while im using it is 72c so i think that is considered safe
No, it won't damage the cpu since it will throttle at 99c as I saw mine do that during stress testing with my old cooler.

But that's like running your car engine near redline all the time. Sure, there's a rev limiter to prevent engine damage, but you're definitely not going to get the best life out of it that way. Same for the cpu and computer, especially since electronics don't like heat.

Any increase in fan speed or cooling will improve the 72c idle. You may want to look into 3rd party fans and modding the system if you want to keep running it in that environment long-term.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
No, it won't damage the cpu since it will throttle at 99c as I saw mine do that during stress testing with my old cooler.

But that's like running your car engine near redline all the time. Sure, there's a rev limiter to prevent engine damage, but you're definitely not going to get the best life out of it that way. Same for the cpu and computer, especially since electronics don't like heat.

Any increase in fan speed or cooling will improve the 72c idle. You may want to look into 3rd party fans and modding the system if you want to keep running it in that environment long-term.
it isn't 72c on idle on idle while im browsing it is in the late 40s or early 50s, 72c is while im gaming, 81-80c prime95 blend all with avx on

it isn't 72c on idle on idle while im browsing it is in the late 40s or early 50s, 72c is while im gaming, 81-80c prime95 blend all with avx on
Then that's pretty much going to be normal in that environment since you're taxing the cpu in an already hot environment. I would set the fan to 100% when you're going to do this since the fan should run 100% anyways to start cooling it off.