MADD617

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I have had the original thermal compound on my cpu since new (at least 8 years) and the temps were getting too high when gaming. After I applied AS5 a few months ago according to the instructions (vertical line, ~1mm), the temps are higher, and my cpu fan speed is around 2,100-2,200rpm when browsing. I never saw the fan speed approach anywhere near 2,000rpm with the old thermal compound (at least with normal, say, 25c ambient temp). Temps also are around 55-60c while browsing/with low loads. I removed the heatsink, and the top part of the paste was thinner (I could easily see through it to the metal on both the heatsink and IHS). I applied a little more this time, and the temps appear to be unchanged. I plugged in a 2nd case fan running on 5v (no pwm, too loud on 12v) and now the fan speed is at 1,830rpm.
I understand that it may take a long time for it to "run in", but I don't think it should be higher than before, even after a few months. I tinted the IHS and heatsink, after cleaning according to instructions, again (2nd application).

Last edited:

MADD617

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I'm using the stock cooler. It's really easy to install, so maybe it's just not made that well, as in, it hasn't sat correctly since the first time it was put on and then it might've come slightly lose from moving it.

I'm not sure what my other specs have to do with this but I got a Gigabyte 2GB 1050, 2x4GB 1333mhz Ripjaws, 250GB WD Blue SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Asus P7H55-M LX and a Corsair CX 450M.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I took so long to respond (I thought I would get an email notification).

MADD617

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I have since contacted Arctic Silver, and I'm sure I did everything correctly. Maybe 1 mm is a little too thin and not enough? Might need to try a 3rd time :LOL:

For anyone who hasn't seen this, it's an interesting video (I hope AS5 wouldn't have good results with too much paste, otherwise that would contradict AS's advice and knowledge 😆)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc&t=982s

Last edited by a moderator:

MADD617

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Sounds like you might have underdone the paste initially if it was that thinly spread.

What cooler are you using? sounds like the cooler is not fully seated - if I had to guess.

What are your full system specs?
I reapplied the thermal paste yesterday. It appeared that I didn't put enough on it the last time. Currently at 45C @1527rpm CPU fan speed and an ambient temp of ~17C. Little to no load, but it seems to move around - I read that under 50C it can be quite inaccurate but it tends to be 43C-49C from what I've seen so far. https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/cpu-core-temperature-measuring-facts-fictions.148/

TRENDING THREADS