[SOLVED] i7 8700 at 90ºC in BIOS and idle at desktop

price_g

Honorable
Oct 22, 2017
Hey, I've been having this really annoying issue today with my CPU temperature. I was playing Days Gone while, all of a sudden, my computer started lagging and my fans started to get loud. My first thought was high temps, so, since I didn't have any temperature software installed, I rebooted and went into the BIOS and saw my CPU temperatures at 88- 90ºC
I just changed thermal paste and checked if everything was connected properly, but i'm still getting the same issue.
But the thing is, I used my PC and played the same game yesterday and everything was fine. Nothing happened during the night.

I've been googling around and, from what i've seen, it seems to be a problem with the pump of my AIO cooler. I'll search around the house for a stock fan and i'll see if something changes.
Saw someone on Reddit claming that they've fixed it just by letting it run idle for a while though, but i've been here for 20 minutes and I still get the same temperatures.

Here's the temperatures that I've been getting for the last 20 minutes:
View: https://imgur.com/LQrA2wL

They're absurdly high compared to what I usually got, which was around 70ºC (while gaming) and around 45ºC (idle).

Mobo: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Cooler: CM MasterLiquid 240L RGB. Not the best, but it got the job done and I never really had any problems, besides now (apparently).
If I turn it off for 10 minutes and turn it back on, I go from 40-45ºC (which are the temperatures that I normally get), to 89-90ºC in just half a minute.

Any tips? Definitely thinking that the AIO cooler pump might be the thing causing this headache, but decided to come here and ask for some tips before I go spend money on another one.

Solution
AIO coolers do not last forever.
In time air gets into the system through the coolant tubes.
The pump is a mechanical device which also makes it prone to failure.
If your stock cooler reads 10-15c. over ambient, it can probably do the job since your i7-8700 is not overclockable.

price_g

Honorable
Oct 22, 2017
I think that if the heat exchanger is snug on the CPU.....and the radiator fans are spinning....I think it's due lack of fluid flow....either due to a bad pump....and air lock....or something similar like a broken impellor or a clog...something like that.
If it's mounted and pasted properly, it's almost certainly the pump or another internal cause. And if it's not under warranty, there's not much you can really do about that.
Yeah... I've just changed with a stock fan and it's fine now... goddammit.
Thanks anyways guys

AIO coolers do not last forever.
In time air gets into the system through the coolant tubes.
The pump is a mechanical device which also makes it prone to failure.
If your stock cooler reads 10-15c. over ambient, it can probably do the job since your i7-8700 is not overclockable.

Solution