Question i7 8700 high voltage and temps.

FORCE_

Reputable
Mar 22, 2016
So i own an
i7 8700
ASUS H370F Motherboard
Kraken X62 4 Fan Push Pull
Gigabyte 1060 Windforce 6gb
16gb HyperX Fury 2400
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
NZXT H700i
Bios version 1502(latest)

I get insane voltages and temps just minutes after booting up, and i dont know what it is. CAM software shows my cpu hitting up to 1.4 volts and over 50c idle. My bios settings are default, Core voltage shows 1.042 in bios but somehow im hitting over 1.4 volts in hwinfo and cam. Its almost funny to me how even launching minecraft skyrockets my cpu temperature to 68c.
I dont even wanna think of what temps id get if i did a stress test on my cpu. How is it possible for an 8700 to always run at 1.2+ volts even in idle? I remember when i just got this cpu and motherboard my temps never went over 45c even playing CSGO and listening to music on youtube. Maybe it was the recent bios update i did, ive tried to clear my bios by removing the battery on the mobo and using a screwdriver on the clrtc pins but nothing happens, i just boot up to the same bios version. Im honestly considering going to Micro Center and getting both cpu and motherboard replaced since i still have a year on my replacement plan.

Below is a picture i took of cam software just 5 mins after booting up and launching minecraft, just look at that max cpu temp and voltage smh

Aug 19, 2019
So i own an
i7 8700
ASUS H370F Motherboard
16gb HyperX Fury 2400
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
NZXT H700i

Hi,
I have exactly the same config and also met the same problem after installing 1502 BIOS. It actually works if you manage to set all voltages manually, but it's too many efforts to keep things just working. After all I rolled back to 1402 BIOS and everything's fine.

Please let me know if you find other solution.

Regards,
Dima.

Reactions: FORCE_

mandeep57

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
So i own an
i7 8700
ASUS H370F Motherboard
16gb HyperX Fury 2400
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
NZXT H700i

I get insane voltages and temps just minutes after booting up, and i dont know what it is. CAM software shows my cpu hitting up to 1.4 volts and over 50c idle. My bios settings are default, Core voltage shows 1.042 in bios but somehow im hitting over 1.4 volts in hwinfo and cam. Its almost funny to me how even launching minecraft skyrockets my cpu temperature to 68c.
I dont even wanna think of what temps id get if i did a stress test on my cpu. How is it possible for an 8700 to always run at 1.2+ volts even in idle? I remember when i just got this cpu and motherboard my temps never went over 45c even playing CSGO and listening to music on youtube. Maybe it was the recent bios update i did, ive tried to clear my bios by removing the battery on the mobo and using a screwdriver on the clrtc pins but nothing happens, i just boot up to the same bios version. Im honestly considering going to Micro Center and getting both cpu and motherboard replaced since i still have a year on my replacement plan.

Below is a picture i took of cam software just 5 mins after booting up and launching minecraft, just look at that max cpu temp and voltage smh

I had Same Problem when i boot up my Temp is 60C +
but for me the problem was some unwanted program installed ...Wup.exe a virus was installed on my PC to do bitcoin mining...Later i removed it with Antivirus and its all fine now

Reactions: FORCE_

FORCE_

Reputable
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,
I have exactly the same config and also met the same problem after installing 1502 BIOS. It actually works if you manage to set all voltages manually, but it's too many efforts to keep things just working. After all I rolled back to 1402 BIOS and everything's fine.

Regards,
Dima.
Hi,

Regards,
Dima.

You have the same motherboard? How did you manage to roll back to another bios version? I've tried to clear mine multiple times but it doesn't work. What method did you use?

Aug 19, 2019
You have the same motherboard? How did you manage to roll back to another bios version? I've tried to clear mine multiple times but it doesn't work. What method did you use?

Yes, exactly the same motherboard. I downloaded 1402 BIOS from Asus site, stored it on my C: drive (file name is ROG-STRIX-H370-F-GAMING-ASUS-1402.CAP), then, using Tools-> EZ Flash 3 in BIOS setup, selected 'via Storage Device(s)' , and gave this file. Don't forget to perform 'load optimized defaults' after flashing the new BIOS.

1402 seems not to have these troubles with voltages & overheating. Now I have 100% stable system having <90 degrees in all stress-tests at 4.3 GHz. Memory runs at 2666 (XMP).

Regards,
Dima.

Last edited:

FORCE_

Reputable
Mar 22, 2016
Yes, exactly the same motherboard. I downloaded 1402 BIOS from Asus site, stored it on my C: drive (file name is ROG-STRIX-H370-F-GAMING-ASUS-1402.CAP), then, using Tools-> EZ Flash 3 in BIOS setup, selected 'via Storage Device(s)' , and gave this file. Don't forget to perform 'load optimized defaults' after flashing the new BIOS.

1402 seems not to have these troubles with voltages & overheating. Now I have 100% stable system having <90 degrees in all stress-tests at 4.3 GHz. Memory runs at 2666 (XMP).

Regards,
Dima.

Gonna try it later when i get home from work, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!