[SOLVED] I7 8700 idle temp

Aug 6, 2019
Hi i have a non oc i7 8700 (non k), i have a nzxt kraken x62 for cooling and the idle temps are sitting around 35°..
Is it normal or what number should i expect?
Airflow wise i have 2 140 fans at the front, one 120 at the back and the kraken top mounted (to the outside)

Solution
Aextre,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

All temperatures of all computer components change with ambient (room) temperature. We have members that write into our forums who live from the Arctic Circle to the Equator. Indoor ambient temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C (72°F), so ambient can be a HUGE variable, which affects load as well as idle temperatures.

Moreover, "idle" depends upon whether idle is really idle, which is an undisturbed state at just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. What many users loosley call "idle" is actually a light workload, which can be another HUGE variable.

Without...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Aextre,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

All temperatures of all computer components change with ambient (room) temperature. We have members that write into our forums who live from the Arctic Circle to the Equator. Indoor ambient temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C (72°F), so ambient can be a HUGE variable, which affects load as well as idle temperatures.

Moreover, "idle" depends upon whether idle is really idle, which is an undisturbed state at just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. What many users loosley call "idle" is actually a light workload, which can be another HUGE variable.

Without knowing your ambient temperature and your idle CPU Utilization, it's not possible to give you an accurate assessment, so please be more specific. Until someone asks, or you tell us, the best we can do is give you a very general idea based on incomplete information, which is what jay32267 and R4DIO4CT1VE have provided for you.

IF your ambient temperature is somewhere near normal, and IF your idle CPU Utilization is a low single digit, then they happen to be correct.

We actually have a Guide that covers this topic. It's a "Sticky" near the top of the CPUs Forum. You might want to read Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics and Section 13 - Thermal Test Idle: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Solution