i7-8700 (non-K) availability issues?

falconpunch3D

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Hi, I'm trying to help my wife order a pre-made PC for her science lab (they process large proteomics datasets). We need to order from a certain website (www.connection.com) for billing purposes but they seem to have a huge 2-month backlog on anything with an 8-series Intel CPU.

I know there is *some* shortage of 8-series parts, but I see systems with them on Amazon, Newegg, etc ready to ship right away... is there something weird going on here or is the shortage actually that bad??

Basically they're "upselling" us to a dual-CPU Xeon system, which actually will perform worse since the software they're running is single-threaded. Probably gonna end up getting a Xeon (32 threads and 3X the cost for no reason!!), but this is frustrating!!

falconpunch3D

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Yeah, that's kinda what makes me think something weird is going on... it's technically "in stock" but takes ~2 months to ship. Here's the PC we specifically tried to order:

https://www.connection.com/product/lenovo-topseller-thinkcentre-m920-tower-core-i7-8700-3.2ghz-16gb-512gb-opal-uhd630-dvd-rw-gbe-3.5-bay-w10p/10sf002cus/35924537?cac=Result

But actually, I think our alternative is just gonna be an i7-7700 system. Almost forgot to just look at the last generation!

Sucks to lose out on the 2 extra cores and higher boost clocks, but this workflow is very RAM-heavy and as I said, not well threaded, so an i7-7700 with upgrade to 64GB RAM will make more sense than paying thousands for a Xeon and that much ECC RAM.

falconpunch3D

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Oh, yeah we've been emailing an account manager from the company. May add another layer of confusion just having to deal specifically with the university account.

I think we've got it sorted out with the i7-7700, guess this will just serve as a caution for people to double check by call/email that 8-series pre-fab PCs are shipping *now* rather than sitting on this shady type of delay... caused by Intel no doubt, but boy did the website swoop in there and try to unnecessarily up-sell to a Xeon system!