[SOLVED] I7 8700 not compatible????

Feb 2, 2020
When I first built my computer around a year and a half ago I made sure everything was compatible. I bought a coffee lake i7-8700 CPU and an Asus Prime Z370-A as my motherboard. Well I'm checking pc part picker to see what cpu coolers are available that would fit this setup and all of a sudden I see that the i7-8700 and the motherboard are not compatible????? I even went to the asus website and the cpu is not listed there as a compatible one. If it's not compatible, how the hell am I using it????

Solution
Sigh, well now it's a problem because apparently some coolers are compatible with either product seperately, or with one and not the other
If a cooler fits the lga115x socket, it will fit. That cpu is no different than any of the other cpus that board supports. So I wouldn't worry at all about cooler compatibility. The only consideration I'd put into cooler choice is case clearance.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Simple answer would be that they either didn’t test it or it’s an error in their website. They don’t always get everything right a lot of manufacturers say for instance that a motherboard supports 16gb of ram when actually it can use 32gb of ram, sometimes they just don’t list things

Sigh, well now it's a problem because apparently some coolers are compatible with either product seperately, or with one and not the other
If a cooler fits the lga115x socket, it will fit. That cpu is no different than any of the other cpus that board supports. So I wouldn't worry at all about cooler compatibility. The only consideration I'd put into cooler choice is case clearance.

Solution