Question i7 8700 upgrade to 9700k

May 13, 2019
Hi,

is it worth to upgrade my i7 8700 non k to 9700k for pure gaming pc?

I already have 3200MHz b-dies, QHD 144Hz monitors and RTX 2080.

If you have a Z-series motherboard and you intend to OC a little, maybe it is.

Keep in mind this won't bring you double digit FPS increases, as you'll be effectively do a side-grade and the benefits would come from OC'ing the K CPU.

And out of curiosity, is the i7 8700 on its own not good enough?

Cheers!

May 13, 2019
I wanted to spend some money on upgrade. Jump from RTX 2080 to Ti is just too much for me. I cant justify cost of RTX 2080Ti. Only thing which i can upgrade from my point of view is CPU. My thoughts was i7 9700k looks more futureproof because of OC capability and solid eight core against six core + HT of 8700.

I never OCed and i am not sure how much performance gain i can expect. Right now i dont have Z board.

Then don't bother with it; to make use of a K-series CPU you need a Z motherboard, unfortunately. You can still OC any CPU in an H-series, but you'll have to know what you're doing and it's not as easy.

And don't underestimate those threaded cores from the i7 8700. I believe the scaling factor for each HT core is around ~33%, so if you want to put it in "hard" numbers, your i7 8700* is equivalent to a ~8 core CPU already; maybe a bit less than 8.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Fine, thats what i wanted to hear :)

I am not rotschild and money can be spend somewhere else. It looks like new Ryzens will be on pair with Intel on gaming so there is no reason to burn money on swapping.