[SOLVED] i7-8700 vs i5-10600k

rampage300493

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
43
6
4,545
1
Hi, i would like to switch my i5-8400 with something more powerful, i was thinking about buying used i7-8700 and pair it with my current b360, lets say i7-8700 used in my country costs "800", on the other hand i can buy whole new platform with z490, i5-10600k and new cooler for "2100"(everything new of course) is it even reasonable? or should i just stick with 1151 and buy used i7-8700? would difference even be noticeable? in future i'd like to switch 1660ti with 3060ti/3070 but we're talking about years from now, like 2-3 years.
my spec
g.skill ripjaws 2x8gb 3000mhz cl15
gigabyte b360m d2v
i5-8400
1660ti
seasonic 750w
silentiumpc fera 3
 
im pretty sure my current cooling wouldn't be able to handle K version, i'd have to buy Z390, and K version costs 15% more than non K version, it's too much for me, i'll stick with i7-9700 i guess, im just starting to find any information whether my mobo (Gigabyte b360m d2v) will have decent temperatures with this kind of cpu.
It will, you wont be raising any voltage's so VRM's will be safe.
 

Lutfij

Titan
Moderator
The question is, what do you intend to tax the platform with if you're going for an upgrade. Often times a minor upgrade can do wonders while sometimes, it's just worthwhile to get a new platform altogether if the price is really close.

What is the model for your Seasonic PSU and how old is it? You might also want to look into the latest and greatest in storage options if you decide to migrate to the 10th Gen since you(might) get PCIe 4.0. What board are you looking at and where are you located?

BTW, 800USD, UK pounds, AUD? We will need the location to understand your currency.
 

rampage300493

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
43
6
4,545
1
I live in Poland so currency is PLN.
When it comes to psu it's new seasonic focus gx-750w bought it like 2 months ago, i already have 3 sata ssds and 1 mvne, 2 hdd, it's enough so i guess i don't care about PCIe 4.0 support.
I was thinking about buying MSI Z490 A-PRO + i5-10600k and CRYORIG R1 Ultimate or something.
i can sell my b360+i5-8400 for around 450 PLN. i guess i'll leave my current RAM as it is, i can achieve 3200Mhz( based on ram reviews, personally i wasn't able to check if that's true) so it's okay i assume.
 

rampage300493

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
43
6
4,545
1
I have 144hz display 1080p so yeah, i would rather play at medium settings with 144 fps than on 90 fps at ultra settings, that's my attitude when it comes to fps
 

LolaGT

Proper
Oct 31, 2020
97
53
120
1
The 200-ish bucks(what it comes to in US) either the 8700/9700 costs will be a big jump and will likely keep you going for years, as long as everything else holds up. Either of those will run the 3060ti/3070 just fine in the future.
I would prefer the k versions that are unlocked also, but that might be a big jump in price?
 

rampage300493

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
43
6
4,545
1
im pretty sure my current cooling wouldn't be able to handle K version, i'd have to buy Z390, and K version costs 15% more than non K version, it's too much for me, i'll stick with i7-9700 i guess, im just starting to find any information whether my mobo (Gigabyte b360m d2v) will have decent temperatures with this kind of cpu.
 
Reactions: Master Djoza
im pretty sure my current cooling wouldn't be able to handle K version, i'd have to buy Z390, and K version costs 15% more than non K version, it's too much for me, i'll stick with i7-9700 i guess, im just starting to find any information whether my mobo (Gigabyte b360m d2v) will have decent temperatures with this kind of cpu.
It will, you wont be raising any voltage's so VRM's will be safe.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY