I7 8700k 1080ti having performance issues

Sep 10, 2018
I’m a beginner with PCs and recently built my new computer.

Mobo: Asrock z370 extreme 4
Ram: Corsair vengeance rgb 8gb x2
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
PSU: Corsair HX 850i
HDD: WD 1TB (from old pc)

So when I first built this PC I had a 250gb Sandisk SSD I wasn’t too overwhelmed from my previous pc to be honest, everything ran okay for a while but it got progressively slower on my desktop, taking a while for things to load such as music, photos internet etc sometimes they would stop responding half way through loading. Once I rebooted my PC and it asked me for a suitable boot drive so I headed to the bios and my SSD was no longer there. I tried for a while but no luck. I thought whatever and reinstalled everything on my HDD. Still the same performance. 3 weeks later my PC shuts off altogether and my everything was gone from my HDD but it was showing up in my bios this time so I reinstalled everything again. 2 months later it’s still working with the same HDD but performance still the same. My FPS in games are pretty much the same as my old PC other than Arma 3 it’s all okay at 80 then when I go in towns after a while it will drop to 3 FPS, then 40, 20 and so on until it freezes for minutes. My temps average around about 65-70 but one thing I noticed in NZXT’s CAM app is my cpu load is always jumping from say 70% then to 1%. I didn’t know is it could be the motherboard because I cheaped out on it and didn’t really know if it was any good. I’ve unplugged and rebuilt the PC. My SSD was 3 years old and my HDD has got to be at least 4 years old if not 5 maybe more. Could this be Hard Drive related?

Thanks.

Solution
Install them in 2,4. Also, enable XMP from BIOS.
357oq5c.jpg
Sep 10, 2018

I guess I can test that using the CAM app? I just tested on Arma 3 and it runs at 4200ish mhz but can sometimes randomly drop to 700mhz only for a second though the CPU load is staying around 20% then when it drops it goes to 3%

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

See if you can monitor whats happening when you get the low fps, either any maxed out cpu cores, or gpu, either getting hot etc. CPU Core speed dropping, gpu clock dropping etc.