[SOLVED] i7 8700k @ 4.9Ghz OC (Help!)

ShaayD

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2014
Hello!

Can anyone help me to overclock my i7 8700k to 4.9 or 5.0 ghz?
is there any ''standard'' settings that i can follow in bios to achieve the OC?
Can someone guide me how to?
Thank you in advance!

My system

CASE: CM MasterCase H500P
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7Ghz
CPU Liquid Cooling: Fractal Design Celsius S36 360
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Tomahawk
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200mhz G-skill tridentz RGB
SSD1: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
SSD2: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080Ti Rog Strix 11GB
PSU: Cooler Master 750w
Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit

Solution
Typically "overclocking" Intel processors involves increasing the multiplier beyond its default, 47 in the case of the i7-8700K. However all this does is increases the maximum turbo boost limit.

You may also try to find an option to force all cores to boost to the limit. I'm not sure what MSI's terminology is, but on ASUS boards this is called "Multicore Enhancement." There might be something similar on the board you have.
Typically "overclocking" Intel processors involves increasing the multiplier beyond its default, 47 in the case of the i7-8700K. However all this does is increases the maximum turbo boost limit.

You may also try to find an option to force all cores to boost to the limit. I'm not sure what MSI's terminology is, but on ASUS boards this is called "Multicore Enhancement." There might be something similar on the board you have.

Solution
Not all systems are created equal. Have you ran any benchmarks on your current system to see what your cpu temps reach? without deliding at 5.0ghz all core the cpu is going to get toasty. This is why intel started downclocking the cpu speed the more cores it uses.

Its been years since ive touched my OC but i know im running 5.1Ghz @ 1.4v and at idle its 29*c. With at being said i also have my CPU delided, liquid metal, and full copper IHS installed.