I7 8700k 5.0 Ghz Temperature Results - Need Validations

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Hello Community,

It's been two years+ (I think) since I have upgraded. I have spent an excessive amount on this build, and I do not want it to go to waste. I was hoping for some feedback on my results and findings.

Specifications
Processor: Intel i7 8700k (Not Delidded nor Sandpapered)
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
Ram: 2x8G Corsair Vengence LPX White DDR4 3200
Storage: 1TB Samsung M.2 NVME 960 PRO
Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti AORUS Xtreme
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X CODE Z370
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750X ATX PSU
Case: Corsair Graphite 780T Black

Aftermarket Thermal: ARCTIC MX-2 Thermal Compound Paste
Aftermarket Fans 120mm: 3 x Noctua NF-S12A PWM Ultra Quiet 120mm PWM Cooling Fan
Aftermarket Fans 140mm: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm Premium Quality Fan

Assembly
I have assembled all products together and made sure that all drivers are installed and up to date - this includes motherboard, storage, graphics card, windows updates, etc.
You guessed it, the fans that came with the 780T were replaced. The three 120mm at the front, pulling cold air into the case, whilst the 140mm at the back pushing all that hot air out, simultaneously with the AIO water cooling expelling the heat out of the radiator.
I have gone clean with the cable management ensuring maximum airflow (like that makes a difference to temperatures, eh?)

Edit: All of the four chassis fans are connected to the 780T Fan controller. The mother board does not control them, the case does. The case has a button with three modes. Low mode, medium mode, high mode (where it sends the max voltage making sure fans run at full speed).

Overclocking Methodology
Boot up the computer, go into bios. Once again ensure i am running the latest update bios.
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP - select no: Using an XMP profile of 3200. Memory is configured
Asus Multi Core Enhancement -> Disabled
AVX Instruction Core Ration Negative Offset -> 3
CPU Core Ratio -> Sync All Cores. Set to 50
CPU SVID Support -> Disabled
Load Line Callibration -> Level 6
Intel CPU Power Management
Long Duration -> 4095
Short Duration -> 4095
CPU Core/ Cache Current Limit Max -> 255.50
Min and Max Cache Ratio -> 42
BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage -> Disabled
Cput Core/ Cache Voltage -> Manual
CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.35

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU (Der8auer)

Ambient Room temperature: 20 degrees

I ran Real bench stress testing for one hour. I made sure my GPU was overclcocked and the fan was at 100%. All Case fans were at max, along with the AIO water cooler.

https://imgur.com/LfjKKzQ

Maximum temperature was 86 degrees. I do not know how accurate their readings are but I'm hoping 86 is not too hot.

Then I ran the bench mark tool. At this point no crash. It looks like I am stable.

Z1JkzGm

https://imgur.com/Z1JkzGm

However, the scores, meh.

Then I ran real bench 4 times

vrtqHCT

https://imgur.com/vrtqHCT

The highest score was achieved by closing all programs. Would have love to get 1650+. Windows Explorere.exe was running.

I hope this can give you an idea and hopefully you can give some feedback.

I am positive that i installed the CPU and AIO water cooler correct.

Can I leave my system how it is, is the information provided above valid for this overclock? or does a maximum of 86 degrees present danger to my CPU?

With those results am I good to go?

P.S I can conclude that I've lost the silicon lottery. Do you think it would be worth voiding the warranty and delidding. I can order a rockit88 from amazon US but it would cost me around £40($50), or am I safe with these settings.

Thank you. Any questions let me know.

Moynul

Update - Aida 64 Extreme -

AObnL94

https://imgur.com/AObnL94

From the image you can see max temps were 92 at the first core. but from the average temps you can see that temps stayed at mid 70's low 80's spiking to low 90s once in a full moon, hence the max temperature.
This was a 2 hour + test.

91wnphI

https://imgur.com/91wnphI

This image shows us the maximum clock rate achieved. 5gz, but i think it was stress testing at 4.7ghz? Is this due to AVX Instruction Core Ration Negative Offset -> 3 Please correct me.

From my opinion, i reckon it is stable. I have played Final Fantasy 15 PC on high settings for 2 hours, and Far Cry 5 for one hour, no stability issues (so far).

From these results, what can you guys recommend? Leave the settings, or down clock to 4.8ghz at a lower voltage for those low temps.

I am in no position to delid at the moment.

Thank you.

P.S Sorry, the picture do not show.

Solution
That's great.
5GHz -3 AVX with 1.325V and 85°C.

You can now put the voltage on adaptative and enable every other power saving features like Cstates and exist to let the voltage and frequency fluctuate with the load!!!

Rodolphe.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi moynul hussain,
For 5GHz and 1.35V, 86°C seems coherent. The only issue i can see is that 86°C on real bench means almost 100°C on intense AVX usage as Prime95 or OCCT.

Without delliding, you'll not be able to achieve lower temps than that (in the range of 1-2°C)

Rodolphe.

Can you try running something like prime95 stress test and see what your temps are like? I know RealBench said 86c max but was that a constant 86c or did the temp spike for a split second?

The 8700k is a toasty cpu so adding the extra voltage/overclock will just add to it. I personally would consider dialing back the OC just a touch.

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Hey Radpolphe, thanks for the reply.

Prime95, which version do i use? I hear its a power virus program.
OCCT, which version?

Thank you,

Moynul .

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Hello, i'm hoping it was a spike, i didn't get an average temp reading.

I've replied to another post concerning prime95 version.

Would you recommend Aida64 extreme as well.

Many Thansk

Moynul

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
For Prime95, use the latest version.
In the readme, you will learn how to enable or disable AXV instruction for testing.

Prime95 without AVX is a good and valid thermal and stability tester.
With AVX it will make "overheat" CPU (it's an abnormal usage of the cpu but it creates the maximum temps reachable with this overclock).

OCCT, latest version.

AIDA64 is also good but you only have a 30 Days trial.

Rodolphe.

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Thank you for the answer. What I will do, I'll leave a 1-2 hour stress testing on Aida64 Extreme.

I'll post the results before 7pm or so. If you feel the temps are not adjacent/ in the average, then i will do a prime95 test.
Prime 95 sounds intimating, from what I've seen on other forums.

Thanks again.
Moynul

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

I have done a another stress test using aida 64. Your thoughts please.

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

I have done a another stress test using aida 64. Your thoughts please.

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Sorry to get back to you late,

I posted an update above,

But what I have done now is I have changed the manual voltage to 1.325 and the ran Prime95 for 1 hour+. The settings were equivalent to how Cinebench tests the CPU.

The maximum recorded temperature was 85 degrees celcius. However, Prime95 was testing all cores @ 4.7 Ghz opposed to the target 5.0 Ghz.

So what is your opinion, does 85 degrees maximum pose a threat?

Thank you.
https://ibb.co/i7QEgx
i7QEgx

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
That's great.
5GHz -3 AVX with 1.325V and 85°C.

You can now put the voltage on adaptative and enable every other power saving features like Cstates and exist to let the voltage and frequency fluctuate with the load!!!

Rodolphe.

Solution

moynul hussain

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Thank you very much!

I may leave it on manual for the mean while, and put it on adaptive later in the week.

Thanks again!

Moynul