[SOLVED] i7 8700k and ryzen 7 2700x

Nov 6, 2018
I continue to see a lot of threads regarding these 2 chips. They are both great chips. I have 2 pc's, one with the 2700x and the other with the 8700k. You can read all of the benchmarks in the world but the performance difference visually, when I game, between the 2 is so marginal that I cannot tell the difference regardless of what game I am playing. I can tell a difference however in the performance difference regarding content creation and video editing, with the ryzen being the clear winner. The ryzen is the better overall CPU in my opinion, and it's cheaper. Also, the piece of hardware that is by far the most important in determining gaming performance is your GPU. All of that being said, they are both awesome chips and tailor whatever hardware you get to your needs/wants.

Solution
There are a lot of charts and benchmarks all over for these two processors going head to head, all you have to do is Google. Really though, I can't quantify which is "better". It comes down to what do you do with your computer. If all you are doing is gaming and you only are picking between these two systems then the i7 8700K is better hands down. It's not leaps and bounds better but your getting overall ~9% better FPS at 1080p and ~6% better at 1440p with virtually no difference at 4K. Now if all you are doing is gaming the R5 2600 at half the cost of either one is hands down the go to processor because overclocked to 4.2Ghz it will match the R7 2700X in gaming. If you are into content creation then the R7 2700X becomes the...

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to bring some form of video to support what you've said about content creation/video editing to compare both systems. I know what they are both capable of but you're just leaving the door open for people to come and bash you.

Also,
The ryzen is the better overall psu in my opinion, and it's cheaper.
There are no PSU's from AMD.

Nov 6, 2018
I am giving you my (subjective) experiences and opinion with these 2 chips, not a concrete and objective answer. I just read the threads and was giving my response through my experiences with these chips. But like i said they are both awesome chips and I love both.

Nov 6, 2018
I did not say 'whips' but I stated that in my own experience(s), I notice a performance difference in multi threaded applications that favors the AMD. Maybe some notice a difference in improved performance with the 8700k in gaming, but I have not, even though the benchmarks say otherwise. I am neither an AMD or Intel fanboy. I am solely giving my 2 cents about my own experiences with these chips (like everyone else does), both of which are great. That being said I understand what you are saying about the fanboys, even though I am praising both chips.

There are a lot of charts and benchmarks all over for these two processors going head to head, all you have to do is Google. Really though, I can't quantify which is "better". It comes down to what do you do with your computer. If all you are doing is gaming and you only are picking between these two systems then the i7 8700K is better hands down. It's not leaps and bounds better but your getting overall ~9% better FPS at 1080p and ~6% better at 1440p with virtually no difference at 4K. Now if all you are doing is gaming the R5 2600 at half the cost of either one is hands down the go to processor because overclocked to 4.2Ghz it will match the R7 2700X in gaming. If you are into content creation then the R7 2700X becomes the processor of choice as it has 2 more cores and 4 more threads to leverage in rendering and other resource heavy applications. The R7 2700X will outperform the i7 8700K in almost all content creation application with the exception of Adobe related applications which tend to favor better single core performance and will favor the higher clock speed of the 8700K. If your doing a little of everything from rendering video to gaming and beyond the R7 2700X is an excellent "do everything" processor but keep in mind that you will be giving up a few FPS while gaming but usually nothing huge.

Really its hard to call one of these "better" than the other as most people are interested in gaming and may dabble in content creation. Realistically your can't make a bad choice with either one and will be very happy with either one.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018

Nov 6, 2018
I agree, they are both awesome chips without a doubt. Im not a professional gamer so I don't notice the difference, however I'm sure there are people that do; but again im not an enthusiast or pro in regards to gaming so I don't see it. All things said, can't go wrong with either one. I prefer the R7 because of it's capabilities with multithreaded tasks and still performing at a high level with gaming (in my experience). Now, I have done multithreaded applications with the 8700k and it is no lightweight. But as you said preference and what you need it for.