Question i7 8700k auto voltages the cpu to 1.44V. Is it safe?

Nov 15, 2019
Hello, I've just purchased an X62 Kraken for my CPU and I'd like to use the CPU at 4.7 GHz. All I did was clicking group tuning in AI Suite 3. Vore voltage goes up to 1.44. Is it normal?
Also using the XMP profile for Corsair rams. 3000 MHz.

tkqIkTC.png

1.44v is a bit too high....With a manual overclock you can do so, so much better and keep the temps down. 1.44v will drive a fair bit of heat. Auto overclocking always adds way too much vcore...

I have my 8700K overclocked to 4.9GHz at 1.278v and have no issues on temps. I would look at your motherboard and there will be forums that cover overclocking for your motherboard with an 8700K...there are many out there and do a bit of learning as it will be worth it and it will get the best out of your 8700K.

You should be able to get 5GHz at under 1.35v....and lower.

Nov 15, 2019
1.44v is a bit too high....With a manual overclock you can do so, so much better and keep the temps down. 1.44v will drive a fair bit of heat. Auto overclocking always adds way too much vcore...

I have my 8700K overclocked to 4.9GHz at 1.278v and have no issues on temps. I would look at your motherboard and there will be forums that cover overclocking for your motherboard with an 8700K...there are many out there and do a bit of learning as it will be worth it and it will get the best out of your 8700K.

You should be able to get 5GHz at under 1.35v....and lower.

So, using XMP is pretty much useless I think. I'm new to this forum if I can manage to find a combo with z370-h Strix + 8700k I'll try.

I'd be happy at 4.7 GHz with lower voltages. These new motherboards have so much stuff. I used to do manual stuff with older motherboards. :/

I think you should take your time. XMP should be no issues at all. I have mine set to the XMP profile 1 so DDR4 3000 on mine and for a 4.7GHz all core overclock it should be as simple as changing the multiplier to 47 without any other changes and leaving things in auto. As to vcore at 4.7GHz you should be able to dial that down to 1.26 or even less.

This might give you a start...

https://www.overclock.net/forum/26490589-post1133.html

The ASUS BIOS's are all pretty much the same..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8x9AV4ToI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHZehKbMdw

Nov 15, 2019
I think you should take your time. XMP should be no issues at all. I have mine set to the XMP profile 1 so DDR4 3000 on mine and for a 4.7GHz all core overclock it should be as simple as changing the multiplier to 47 without any other changes and leaving things in auto. As to vcore at 4.7GHz you should be able to dial that down to 1.26 or even less.

This might give you a start...

https://www.overclock.net/forum/26490589-post1133.html

The ASUS BIOS's are all pretty much the same..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8x9AV4ToI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHZehKbMdw
Leaving everything auto pushed my cpu to 1.44v. And bios settings completely changed when I turn the xmp on.
Thank you for the videos. I’ll check them after my gaming session. I hope I can get to 4.7 ghz with low voltage.

So

I put 1.26v at 4.7 and doing a stress test with cpu-z. Do I need those better stress tests? Like aida64 or prime95? 55 degree so far. Used to be 70 with 1.4v

That is very good indeed... 1.26 for 4.7GHz is fine at 55 Degrees C. I would use Aida64 and do the stability test. That will give you a very good idea on temps.. Check what temps you hit at max load and dont worry as AIDA does a fairly hard job on the CPU...

Nov 15, 2019
That is very good indeed... 1.26 for 4.7GHz is fine at 55 Degrees C. I would use Aida64 and do the stability test. That will give you a very good idea on temps.. Check what temps you hit at max load and dont worry as AIDA does a fairly hard job on the CPU...
Do I need to turn intel speedstep off? He turns it off in the video. What does that exactly do? CPU works at 4.7 at all times? I want it to go low when I surf on the internet.
Task manager readings started at 4.69 ghz then went to 4.20. Aida shows no throttling. And temperatures under 60 degree. CPU core 1.248. Why it isn’t stable at 4.7? Because of speedstep?

Yep leave Intel Speedstep as it just allows the CPU to go down when light on usage and all the way up when under load. Unless you want to go hardcore just leave it on. As to temps, you are well under control and you could even up it to 4.8GHz with a 48 multiplier though you may need to up the vcore a little.

Now that you have started the journey take your time. Save your overclock profiles and keep working away until you are happy with the lowest vcore at the highest frequency...others things will come into play like LLC but that will all come.

Nov 15, 2019
Yep leave Intel Speedstep as it just allows the CPU to go down when light on usage and all the way up when under load. Unless you want to go hardcore just leave it on. As to temps, you are well under control and you could even up it to 4.8GHz with a 48 multiplier though you may need to up the vcore a little.

Now that you have started the journey take your time. Save your overclock profiles and keep working away until you are happy with the lowest vcore at the highest frequency...others things will come into play like LLC but that will all come.
I just disabled that to see what’s gonna happen and my speed still goes down to 1.87 etc. I thought it would stay at 4.69 at all times.

and the speed still goes down to 4.20 under load. I don’t really understand why. Does it want more voltages?

No it's not voltages, let me double check as it could be an ASUS setting. What is your LLC setting at..try 6 or 7...Also up your vcore to 1.30v first and then we can work downwards. Let me know whether you get a drop in frequency with 1.3v.

Nov 15, 2019
No it's not voltages, let me double check as it could be an ASUS setting. What is your LLC setting at..try 6 or 7...Also up your vcore to 1.30v first and then we can work downwards. Let me know whether you get a drop in frequency with 1.3v.
I didn't wanna touch many settings tbh. I didn't touch LLC. Let me try Level 6.
Also, it's at 4.8 with 1.28 right now. Also I didn't put those 4095 values. Let me try those first then I'll put the voltage at 1.30.

Okay that is fine as it is better to take it one bit at a time...The only thing that we need to clear up is the dropping frequency to 4.4GHz. Double test with AIDA which should show you temps and speed the CPU is running at..If that is running at 4.8GHz during the test, you are fine..

Nov 15, 2019
Okay that is fine as it is better to take it one bit at a time...The only thing that we need to clear up is the dropping frequency to 4.4GHz. Double test with AIDA which should show you temps and speed the CPU is running at..If that is running at 4.8GHz during the test, you are fine..
Now I get blue screens with those settings for some reason.

Not the end of the world....Default back to your best settings and start again....It can be a slow process...I have a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard and it took me a long time to get the hang of the BIOS and settings with many a blue screen until I got it right....

Nov 15, 2019
Not the end of the world....Default back to your best settings and start again....It can be a slow process...I have a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard and it took me a long time to get the hang of the BIOS and settings with many a blue screen until I got it right....
Now I’m testing 1.30 voltage at 4.8.
i put the voltage at 1.30 for the first test without changing the rest. Running Aida for 3 mins. CPU 65- cpu package 70-72. And aisuite (Asus software that I ssed at the first message) 65-66 degree. No blue screens. And speed is at 4.77 so far. If the speed won’t go down, is this a good one ?

Well at least you got it to run at full speed so we are getting close to stability. I agree drop down to 4.7GHz and keep an eye on temps. LLC has a lot to do with it as it stabilises and factors in for vdroop where the voltage drops to low for a fraction.

I would test at 4.7GHz and up vcore to 1.28v and try again for stability via AIDA for 5 minutes...then give it a rest until tomorrow...It is 11:23 in London so I will collapse soon or my wife will batter me...

I will do some research tomorrow on your motherboard and come back with some settings that have been tried and tested....

Nov 15, 2019
Well at least you got it to run at full speed so we are getting close to stability. I agree drop down to 4.7GHz and keep an eye on temps. LLC has a lot to do with it as it stabilises and factors in for vdroop where the voltage drops to low for a fraction.

I would test at 4.7GHz and up vcore to 1.28v and try again for stability via AIDA for 5 minutes...then give it a rest until tomorrow...It is 11:23 in London so I will collapse soon or my wife will batter me...

I will do some research tomorrow on your motherboard and come back with some settings that have been tried and tested....
Yeah, the speed isn’t going lower now. I don’t really know what’s llc.

Got blue screen after 5 mins at @4.7 1.26v.
also why can’t we use llc at auto value? I’ll just test with auto. Also at 1.28.

have a good night. I’ll stop testing if I get another blue screen or restart again. Will just load the default values and turn xmp on.

Reactions: vMax
Nov 15, 2019
Second update; I didn’t change anything and I haven’t tested it with those programs but I played games for like 2-3 hours. Nothing happened. Looks stable at 4.7 with 1.28v.

edit: games weren’t cpu intensive though

Reactions: vMax
okay that looks very positive as it is real world use that matters the most when it comes to stability. From here take your time (save these settings) and learn a bit more as the CPU can and will do 4.9GHz to 5GHz if you ever wanted to push upwards.....but take your time...and enjoy the free extra performance...