[SOLVED] i7 8700k frame drops while streaming

Dec 30, 2018
I bought an Intel i7 8700k with the main reason being to stream on twitch. It was going good for awhile, but then I added a second monitor and I had major stuttering while streaming. I found out that the problem was caused by the second monitor being plugged into the motherboard. I plugged it into the GPU and I was able to stream again. It seems like lately I have been getting pretty bad fps again when streaming Fortnite. I just recently got a 144hz monitor that i've been using with my old 60hz monitor. I heard that this could be a problem, but I have tested it and it doesn't seem to be causing this. The fps problems were happening even before I got the new monitor. I just want to be able to actually get 144 fps while streaming. I play on 1440 by 1080 stretched. When I'm not streaming i get 144 fps and that's where i have it capped. The lowest it usually will ever get is 80 but never below 60. When I stream, though, I struggle to stay over 100 fps just in the lobby. Once I am gliding down in the game it will go to 40 fps. If there is nothing too much happening i can stay above 100 fps. I have a gtx 1070 and 8gb of ram. One time on stream labs obs my cpu usage went to 35% and I think that is too high. I really would appreciate it if someone could take time to help me solve this problem because I don't want to give up streaming. Also, my stream settings are at x264 3000 bit rate fast or faster preset. When I try to lower these settings i still have problems. From what I've seen online, I should be able to stream with those settings. Anyways, please help me figure this out. Thank you.

Solution
The latest version of OBS has an auto configuration wizzard which makes it easier to find best settings. You may though still need to tweak one or two of the recommended settings.

Here's a pretty good guide on it.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt_HVScA3Js"][/video]
It could be your streaming settings, especially if playing on an odd stretched res. You also need a decent upload speed to get good stream quality. You need at least 10 - 12 Mb upload speed to use 5000 - 6000 stream bitrate. At 6 Mb you can only use 3000 bitrate, which greatly affects stream quality.

Dec 30, 2018

Hello, thank you for the response. What would you recommend that I do? Should I not play on stretched or are there stream settings I can use to make it work? I am streaming at 1280x720 at 60fps. I have it so the 1440x1080 game stretches to fit the screen. My upload speed is 11 so I don't think that is the problem.

The latest version of OBS has an auto configuration wizzard which makes it easier to find best settings. You may though still need to tweak one or two of the recommended settings.

Here's a pretty good guide on it.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt_HVScA3Js"][/video]

Solution