i7 8700k gtx 1080 help GPU usage drops FPS drops

zack73752

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
hello everybody I recently started building a new system and I'm almost done with it but I've been having an issue my issue is the GPU usage drops to 0% and FPS drops randomly in games and it's random I'm not sure why this is happening

here is my specs
cpu i7 8700k running stock speed
gpu GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
ram Corsair lxp 8 gigabytes of RAM 3000MHz upgrading soon 16gbs
motherboard Asus strix z370-e
psu Corsair 750 watt

so I've already tested my Ram everything's fine no errors no problems Ram never goes past 80% even if I'm live streaming CPU running perfectly fine no problems at all temperatures are good hard drive is good I have a GTX 970 in it happens on it too GPU usage drops I am not sure what to do

I've tried everything I possibly know could be the problem and I still don't have an answer so if anyone out there can help me out I would really appreciate it so much

Solution
Oh yes, then that's exactly whats going on. Even without streaming those games are demanding and at 1080p use more than 9gbs usage system ram. That's why you are getting fps drops. More ram is advisable. With only 8gb for streaming too, you're just running our of resources more quickly.

I'd suggest buying a matched 2 x kit and selling your current DIMM to offset the cost. Mixing DIMMS even if similar specs can be problematic.
What games are you referring to and what resolution are you playing on?

I'd suspect it's one of two things: 8gbs of ram is just not enough for games like BF1/COD WW2 and new AAA games you will get by with reduced settings, but once you hit 8gb you will use the swap file on HD, which can cause massive FPS drops and stuttering. This would be specially so if your monitor is higher than 1080p. Even with a 1080p monitor system ram usage for BF1 is well over 9gb, sometimes pushing past 10gb. Also remember, you don't have a full allocation of 8gbs. Some of that is hardware reserved.

Or it could be your HD. Yes, your HD might be healthy but is it at 100% usage while gaming.

Use HWMon, and take a screenshot of it at full gaming load (alt-tab out of game) and post the shot here.

Set up MSI afterburner OSD to display CPU Usage/Temp, GPU usgae/Temp, FPS (3d). You can then monitor these metrics on the fly while gaming.

zack73752

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

battlegrounds and Black Ops 3 Battlefield 5 is the only games that it happened on

and while I'm live streaming on those games so that's probably the problem is that I need more RAM
?

Oh yes, then that's exactly whats going on. Even without streaming those games are demanding and at 1080p use more than 9gbs usage system ram. That's why you are getting fps drops. More ram is advisable. With only 8gb for streaming too, you're just running our of resources more quickly.

I'd suggest buying a matched 2 x kit and selling your current DIMM to offset the cost. Mixing DIMMS even if similar specs can be problematic.

Solution