[SOLVED] I7 8700k high temps

Dec 1, 2020
So iv recently tried to overclock my cpu to 5ghz and it didn't go below 80°c whitch got me worried as iv got a custome ek watercooling loop and my ambient room temp is 19°C. Now when watching videos with no OC my pc is at 40-50°C when it used to be 30ish whiles my ambient room temp is only 20°c. My cpu goes from 9-17 utilisation at 4.3-4.6ghz. Is there any way of me making it so I don't use as much cpu power whiles just watching videos?

Solution
Oh, in that case, try some negative offset on the CPU core voltage. Probably set too high by default. Most Z series boards suffer from this, it is to insure maximum compatibility.

Ambient doesn't really change the CPU temps all that much unless you start getting it quite cool in the room. CPU is still going to throttle up and consume a lot of power, then it is up to the radiator to get it exchanged with the environment. Difference between 20C and 25C ambient won't make as big an impact as you think. Water temp is not a magic bullet, CPU is a tiny heat source and the water has only a brief chance to take heat away from it.

My system is water cooled, and I still see low 80s quite regularly, though I have manually overclocked and run my...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on how you have it set up. High clock speeds demand high voltage, so might not be that simple.

Voltage offset is usually the method used to achieve an overclock along with power savings. You would also just leave all the C-states enabled and only modify the max clock multipliers.

That can be tricky to set up and get stable though, not often recommended in your standard overclocking guides.

Dec 1, 2020
Depends on how you have it set up. High clock speeds demand high voltage, so might not be that simple.

Voltage offset is usually the method used to achieve an overclock along with power savings. You would also just leave all the C-states enabled and only modify the max clock multipliers.

That can be tricky to set up and get stable though, not often recommended in your standard overclocking guides.
Everything is as stock speeds apart from xmp due to ram. So clock speeds, voltage settings should be just auto. Just don't see why I'm getting these temps when my room isn't even 20°c

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, in that case, try some negative offset on the CPU core voltage. Probably set too high by default. Most Z series boards suffer from this, it is to insure maximum compatibility.

Ambient doesn't really change the CPU temps all that much unless you start getting it quite cool in the room. CPU is still going to throttle up and consume a lot of power, then it is up to the radiator to get it exchanged with the environment. Difference between 20C and 25C ambient won't make as big an impact as you think. Water temp is not a magic bullet, CPU is a tiny heat source and the water has only a brief chance to take heat away from it.

My system is water cooled, and I still see low 80s quite regularly, though I have manually overclocked and run my old 7700k at 5GHz.

Solution
Dec 1, 2020

My system is water cooled, and I still see low 80s quite regularly, though I have manually overclocked and run my old 7700k at 5GHz.
Ahh fair enough. Well I might try 5ghz overclock again just unsure. Thought I'd be getting 75°c max temps just abit unsure at the moment and don't really want it going over 80°C

If you use default multipliers, set CMP RAM speeds, have MCE enabled, and use Balanced Power Plan, you can set Intel's XTU to specify whatever top all core clock speeds you wish, adding or lowering core voltage if needed, yet still hover at 800-1200 MHz when loafing at the desktop. (As opposed to running BIOS-configured 50X multiplier/5 GHz all-core in 24/7 operation, for example)

My own 7700K has been so configured for 2+ years, ramping instantly to 4.7 GHz all-core when needed (sub-70C under load), and fluctuates between 1.26 GHz and 2.5 GHzon forums/Youtube, etc... (Alas, 4.8 GHz needed a .05V core voltage jump which spiked temps to 84C, which did not seem worth the trade-off to me)