[SOLVED] i7 8700K High unstable temps while Gaming + Streaming

yousefatia54

Honorable
Mar 19, 2018
Hello everyone, i have overclocked my i7 8700K to 4.9GHz but it seems that i'm facing some high unstable temps (70 - 85) while gaming + Streaming

My pc specs:

I7 8700K 4.9GHz + Dark rock pro 4
MSI AERO GTX 1060 3GB
Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F
Samsung evo 860 250GB SSD + 1TB Toshiba HDD
700W PSU

Here's a link for the case: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07G4TZPQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When i play games without Streaming the temps stay in between 60 - 75 and it is fine i think but when i stream it goes up to 85 and a bit higher sometimes and it causes a slightly heavier movement while playing CS:GO even though the FPS are over 300 but i can still feel it.

i think the Dark rock pro 4 is enough to cool the i7 8700K and i was facing an error while booting the PC Called "CPU fan error" so i switched it from BIOS to "Ignore" so i can reboot the PC normally do you think this is the problem?, i'm pretty sure that i plugged my Cooler correctly into the mother board and it runs fine.

i have another question about the streaming quality, because my GPU is not that good to Encode, this is why i'm using the CPU x264 to Encode for a better quality even tho it still not good enough comparing to streamers that i saw on Facebook.

My OBS settings:

Encoder: x264
Rate control: CBR
Bitrate: 4000
Keyframe: 2
Cpu Usage Preset: Medium (lower than medium is lagging and buffering)
Profile: High

Sorry for the long Questions i would appreciate your answers a lot, Thanks.

Solution
The Vcore is set to AUTO ,i tried to stress the CPU using "Intel burn test" and the Vcore is going up to 1.39V maximum, should i set it to 1.35v max or should i downclock a bit?

Yeah, you shouldn't use the auto Vcore when overclocking, it will pump too much voltage into the chip to ensure stability. Also be sure you're not confusing VID and Vcore, they are two different things, VID being the voltage the CPU requests, and Vcore being the voltage the CPU actually receives.

I'd say try setting a static voltage and do some stability testing. Unless you have a pretty bad chip, you should be able to achieve 4.9GHz at less than 1.39V, and that should help your temps. Once you've figured out the lowest voltage you are stable at, you...

yousefatia54

Honorable
Mar 19, 2018
What's your Vcore for your overclock? If you are pushing above 1.3V then things do get toasty with the 8700k very quickly even with high end air coolers and AIOs, and pushing above 1.35V practically requires a delid to keep temperatures under control.
The Vcore is set to AUTO ,i tried to stress the CPU using "Intel burn test" and the Vcore is going up to 1.39V maximum, should i set it to 1.35v max or should i downclock a bit?

Yeah, you shouldn't use the auto Vcore when overclocking, it will pump too much voltage into the chip to ensure stability. Also be sure you're not confusing VID and Vcore, they are two different things, VID being the voltage the CPU requests, and Vcore being the voltage the CPU actually receives.

I'd say try setting a static voltage and do some stability testing. Unless you have a pretty bad chip, you should be able to achieve 4.9GHz at less than 1.39V, and that should help your temps. Once you've figured out the lowest voltage you are stable at, you can look at setting an offset or adaptive voltage that is similar to that static voltage and that will give you similar behaviour to Auto, with the voltage dropping when the CPU is idling while also giving just enough to be stable under load for your overclock.

Reactions: yousefatia54
Solution