Question i7-8700k hits almost 70c on all cores while idle with h100i

DocTheDuck

Reputable
Nov 22, 2016
I recently got my cpu and cooler and overclocked to 4.5ghz. I was planning on going to 5ghz since my friend who has the exact same cpu and cooler as me said it maxed at 60c at 5ghz but when I saw I was getting 70c on idle I didn't understand what was going on.

At idle temps that high usually mean that either the waterblock isn't making proper contact with the CPU, or you have a pump failure and the fluid isn't circulating, so you aren't really getting much in the way of cooling. If you just built this system, then verify that the waterblock is tightly secured, and make sure all power connections have been connected on the AIO cooler.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
h100i = failure
You probably need a new one. Good luck getting anything out of corsair though, they are anal with RMAs
I agree....Corsair can be a pain to deal with warranty wise.....I had a faulty RAM kit and even so they have lifetime warranty, the whole process was more than annoying. They sent me a replacement kit right away but only after I paid for the cost of it with the promise to refund the money as soon as I returned the old faulty kit. I returned the faulty kit as soon as I received the new one and waited 2 months for my money. Only after reminding their chat support person several times (after waiting for 2 hours in the chat each time) I finally got my money back. The reason for not sending it earlier was "someone forgot to authorize the payment".

Reactions: ElectrO_90

DocTheDuck

Reputable
Nov 22, 2016
At idle temps that high usually mean that either the water block isn't making proper contact with the CPU, or you have a pump failure and the fluid isn't circulating, so you aren't really getting much in the way of cooling. If you just built this system, then verify that the water block is tightly secured, and make sure all power connections have been connected on the AIO cooler.
I had a Kraken X52 on it previously and I had the same problems so I assumed it was just the cooler but then I got the h100i and the problem still was there. In ICUE it says my pump is on and when feeling the tubes I can feel them working, the block is making full contact. I think it might be a problem with my pc not reading the temps right? on ICUE it said the temp for the block is 41C on idle but then when I look on HW Monitor or coretemps its showing 60 to high 70s. I just don't know what the case is, I've tried feeling around where the cpu is and its not even hot but I don't know man its weird.

Okay, assuming that you haven't left any plastic wrap on the coldplate or didn't apply thermal paste if it wasn't preapplied, then you may have a temperature reporting issue. Maybe try checking your CPU temps in the BIOS. If it's idling at 30-40 in the BIOS, but CoreTemp or HWMonitor says something different, then it's likely a reporting issue, and you may want to download newer versions of those programs if available, or try doing a BIOS update and see if that helps. If the temps are high in BIOS, then there is something wrong with the cooling (more likely), or possibly the CPU's temperature sensor (less likely).

w.cattermoul

Reputable
Nov 1, 2018
I recently got my cpu and cooler and overclocked to 4.5ghz. I was planning on going to 5ghz since my friend who has the exact same cpu and cooler as me said it maxed at 60c at 5ghz but when I saw I was getting 70c on idle I didn't understand what was going on.

did you peel the sticker off the copper block before you installed the cooler?

DocTheDuck

Reputable
Nov 22, 2016
Okay, assuming that you haven't left any plastic wrap on the coldplate or didn't apply thermal paste if it wasn't preapplied, then you may have a temperature reporting issue. Maybe try checking your CPU temps in the BIOS. If it's idling at 30-40 in the BIOS, but CoreTemp or HWMonitor says something different, then it's likely a reporting issue, and you may want to download newer versions of those programs if available, or try doing a BIOS update and see if that helps. If the temps are high in BIOS, then there is something wrong with the cooling (more likely), or possibly the CPU's temperature sensor (less likely).
I think it's the cpu sensor, it says its idling at 25-30 when in bios.

I think it's the cpu sensor, it says its idling at 25-30 when in bios.

Yeah, it's probably a software reporting issue then, update your monitoring software, and if that doesn't help you may have to do a BIOS update to get it to report properly. I had an issue where my CPU's Vcore wouldn't ever properly report in tools like HWMonitor or HWInfo64 eg. show 0.68V under full load, a BIOS update fixed that issue, it might be something similar with the CPU core temps.

DocTheDuck

Reputable
Nov 22, 2016
Yeah, it's probably a software reporting issue then, update your monitoring software, and if that doesn't help you may have to do a BIOS update to get it to report properly. I had an issue where my CPU's Vcore wouldn't ever properly report in tools like HWMonitor or HWInfo64 eg. show 0.68V under full load, a BIOS update fixed that issue, it might be something similar with the CPU core temps.
I updated my bios, hwmonitor and core temp still showing wrong temps. when I boot in bios its showing temps from 30-36c but once I boot into noramal mode hwmonitor is telling me im getting up to 78c. Im also having another problem where my pc freezes for around 10 seconds every hour and a half.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
can you share hwinfo64 sensor tab screenshot ( expand it fully to show all data )
I suspect the temps you are seeing is of VRM which.
see individual core temps instead of cpu temp to confirm this, if core temps are also 70+ then its sone problem else its VRM cooking

TRENDING THREADS