i7 8700k issue

clyde777

Proper
Oct 8, 2018
I just built a new pc and my i7 8700k only gets up to 3.8-3.9 ghz and will not go any higher temps are fine around 50c on intel xtu. i have tried to turn off and on xmp and also mce in teh asus z370 bios. I tried to change the core clocks to core 1- 4.7 core 2- 4.6 core 3- 4.5 core 4-5- 4.4 core 6- 4.3 but I cant edit those cores. What do I do?

Solution
If you merely default everything, then turn on /enable both XMP (select 3200 MHz if your RAM is capable of it) and MCE on/enabled, you should not have to fiddle with any sync, or adjust individualcores to any clock speeds, as MCE will allow ramp up of all cores in heavy loads up to 4.7 GHz if temps and power will allow...

MCE off will cap it to a single core at up to 4.7 GHz. two at 4.6 GHz, etc....

If your cooling solution is adequate, I'd enable MCE....(A few minutes of monitoring HWMonitor under a heavy load will tell the tale)

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
You seriously need to read your motherboard user manual, notably the BIOS section.
Disable Asus Multicore Enhancement, set CPU core to sync all cores, enter 47 in CPU Core 1 and set CPU voltage to adaptive. Save and restart into Windows and report back.
Leave XMP on.

clyde777

Proper
Oct 8, 2018
It gets up to 3.9 during stress testing. I did read the bios manual I also tried your suggestions, didnt work. I managaed to leave on xmp turn off mce and now all cores are running at 4.3 on all cores is that normal?

If you merely default everything, then turn on /enable both XMP (select 3200 MHz if your RAM is capable of it) and MCE on/enabled, you should not have to fiddle with any sync, or adjust individualcores to any clock speeds, as MCE will allow ramp up of all cores in heavy loads up to 4.7 GHz if temps and power will allow...

MCE off will cap it to a single core at up to 4.7 GHz. two at 4.6 GHz, etc....

If your cooling solution is adequate, I'd enable MCE....(A few minutes of monitoring HWMonitor under a heavy load will tell the tale)

Solution