i7-8700k Noctua temps

May 26, 2018
So i recently built my new rig and i have been running some benchmarks to monitor my temps. Im new to bench marking and pc building in general. So try not to cringe but when i was installing my Noctua d-15 cooler i had some issues seating it properly, because i took some advice from some reviews of the cooler saying it is much easier to install the cooler in your case last. So i ended up having to take it off the cpu with the thermal paste still applied on both the cooler and the cpu and i just reseated it without cleaning the thermal paste off first (reason being i did not have a microfiber cloth or alcohol on me). My idle temps have been anywhere around 30-34c with some spikes going up to the high 30's randomly but not too often. Running cinebench CPU test my highest temps were around 69-70c. In the games ive tested its never gotten that hot yet. I am running the default XMP boost and CPU boost in my bios(a soft 4.7 OC to my knowledge). I know these temps are safe but im wondering if im really getting the most out of my cooler or if i should take the time to properly clean/ reseat it? Thanks so much.

Okay so a little update, after doing 2 ten minute tests in Prime 95 in small FFTs at 4.7ghz my temps capped out around 80-81c. Is this normal for Prime 95? i truly have no idea

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I have mine overclocked to 5.2ghz all cores and the temps range from 83-87C. The chip goes all the way to 100C according to Intel before automatically shutting down. Prime tested too.