Question i7-8700k on-board display pink and green bars after POST (gpu fried)

Jun 6, 2020
Hi all, this is my first post ever. I suspect my i7 8700k onboard gpu (gen 9.5) is faulty. The tricky thing is that the machine will POST, and if I could actually see the bios could disable the onboard graphics. I have tried three motherboards now. Sent motherboard in for rma and got a brand new one from asus.....same issue. 5 different mix of displayport and HDMI cables and two different monitors. See photos of the display. Two different PSU units as well. Tried it with different ram and no dedicated gpu vs gtx 1080 ti and no changes. Has anyone else had this issue?

Photo

Jun 6, 2020
It used to do this before the problem started, but now won't switch. Also the problem is still there with the 1080 ti entirely removed. Tried the usual cmos, rtc reset, pulled the battery for a while, and tried the bios reset button (asus rog maximus xi hero (wifi)) mainboard as well as the clear cmos on the asus strix z370e mainboard...all to no avail

Jun 6, 2020
7/31: Intel confirmed they will be replacing my CPU on warranty, I had to pay only the shipping and optional insurance to get it to them, which was about $20. I asked them for a report of what they found. I very much doubt to get any objective or technical details of their inspection, but maybe I'll get a surprise. If I get anything I'll post it here

Reactions: Afro_ninja199
Jun 6, 2020
As suspected, after asking for what was the problem they found and if they could send me a report, the Intel Support Team member wrote:

"We cannot do that, once we have a defective processor we destroy the old once
Then send you a new one. That is the reason we always do troubleshooting before starting the process."

It must be cheaper to trash the CPUs once they test as failed rather than to submit them for QA/QC or any type of continuous improvement process....such a pity. Maybe Intel has a system they just don't mention what that is.