[SOLVED] i7 8700k or i7 9700k?

Solution
They have pretty much the same performance.
8700k is 6cores/12threads - slightly better at multitasking.
9700k is 8cores/8threads - slightly better at single core performance.

What are you upgrading from? It might be better to upgrade to intel 10th gen or amd ryzen instead.
They have pretty much the same performance.
8700k is 6cores/12threads - slightly better at multitasking.
9700k is 8cores/8threads - slightly better at single core performance.

What are you upgrading from? It might be better to upgrade to intel 10th gen or amd ryzen instead.

Solution
I would go with 8700K.
Over a year ago I made a mistake and bough 9600K (yes, 2 cores less than 9700K), new board, etc. and you know what? Within a month I ditched whole thing and switched to AMD (3700X).
Single thread CPU's were dead at the time 9000 series CPUs were released -but it was the only way for Intel to push clocks up (5GHz sounds better than i.e. 4.7GHz) and keep CPU "not that" power hungry.
Is 9700K better for gaming? Yes, 175fps is better than 160fps.. but does it matter? Only on paper -the rest is just "mine is bigger than yours". And finally, no matter 9700K or 8700K, we are in most cases limited by graphic card we have. And I can hardly imagine someone looking for either of these two CPU's, is about to buy $1000+ graphic card.

Decisions, decisions... :)

D

Deleted member 1560910

I wouldnt go with either. The 9700k is a horrible CPU. I remember back when ever one was like " all you need is a I5 for gaming" Which back them only had 4 core/4threads. Then Bf1 came out all them were out of luck because they choice to skimp on there CPU in there build. I always go with the best cpu i can afford at the time. The CPU will dictate how the game runs. Just because you are getting 80 to 90 fps doesnt mean its a smooth experience which is something people fail to mention.

What is your current specs ? What board do you have ? I would go with a 9900. This one has a lower TDP and depending on your board this will dictate if your board can handle it.

D

Deleted member 1560910

If they are the same price go with the 9700.
Longevity?......whatever you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow.
This isnt true. The best rule of thumb is when buying a new PC buy the best available. The 9900k and 2080ti been out for a while and its far from obsolete. Even the 8700k/ 1080ti has great value now. Do you want more info ? How about 6700k and 7700k ?? They are still great Chips even with 980ti is still on par with a 1070. These are great 1080p and 1440p combos.

This isnt true. The best rule of thumb is when buying a new PC buy the best available. The 9900k and 2080ti been out for a while and its far from obsolete. Even the 8700k/ 1080ti has great value now. Do you want more info ? How about 6700k and 7700k ?? They are still great Chips even with 980ti is still on par with a 1070. These are great 1080p and 1440p combos.
Whatever you buy today will get pushed down the perf ladder with the next gen of parts.
That's not to say what you bought today won't still work it may just not work as well as the new gen.
For the folks that want the best of the best it's a never ending upgrade cycle because today's parts have become obsolete.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Whatever you buy today will get pushed down the perf ladder with the next gen of parts.
That's not to say what you bought today won't still work it may just not work as well as the new gen.
For the folks that want the best of the best it's a never ending upgrade cycle because today's parts have become obsolete.
Obsolete is/are Beepers, video stores , any cashier
Just because it dropped down the ladder as you say doesnt mean it does have value and is certainly not obsolete

I would wait to see what 11th gen Rocket Lake cpu's can offer.
Its easy to spend money on components,its hard picking them.
@AscendantLag what motheboard and ram do you have?
Are you shopping for a simple cpu upgrade,or is this a completely new system?
Longevity matters on what you do with your system.
Even a 15 year old pentium that was a top end cpu back then can do basic tasks like browsing the net,watching movies, etc.. in 2021.
But if you want to play modern games or use it for cpu demanding tasks, you would need to upgrade it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1560910

As the 9700K has since inception outperformed the R7-3800X and below in all games, what is your analysis of their prowess?
You are limiting yourself to a to the a inferior CPU when he could go with the I9 and get the most out of his current set up with out changing the board. The 9700k is a glorified quad core which is still going to struggle in certain games