i7-8700k over 80 degrees without overclocking

Ezra McIntyre

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Hay I recently bought an i7-8700k on CAM is says at times its as high as up to 87 degrees while playing pubg and other games. Im wondering if this normal ? Ive had the cpu for about a week.

i have a Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler. gtx 1080ti

cheers for any help ?

are there any programs that are better for testing the cpu etc?

Illias Illtempered

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
While that is warm, if it is overclocked that is probably pretty typical. I don't have any experience with CAM but you could look in bios and observe your idle temp just to get a baseline and then check the reported temp with CAM from desktop without any load.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you can try getting a second opinion by downloading teh HWmonitor tool. i too am not familiar with CAM :D is that the NZYX tool?

anywys the CPU cooler is a low-range cooler for your 8700k. if your idle temps are around 35C or lower then that should be good. 85C average while gaming on your type of cooler is to be expected. also try using an aftermarket thermal paste as well. or if the noctua nt-h1 thermal paste is included with that cooler then thats pretty good paste already.

depending on your motherboard. try disabling the Multicore enhancement (MCE)/Turbo Enhanced feature in your BIOS. this will lower the overall voltage output to all your cores thus lowering temps. but it may/may not lower performance a bit as well. also you can increase your AVX offset. this will put less stress to your CPU on high clock speeds.

Ezra McIntyre

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
it idles in bios around 35 C, i noticed my cpu fan is running at 243 rpm were the others are running at over 900 rpm. The v core voltage is 1.184. i havnt touched anything for overclocking and dont plan on doing it for a while.

Avx offset ? whats that.. sorry a bit new to all this still trying to figure it all out

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
AVX commands are usually run by windows and business apps. and maybe some games. lets say your Turbo Boost is 4.7. if you set the AVX offse to 3. your cores running AVX commands will only clock to 4.4 max. this is a somewhat downclock setting to lower stress on your CPU. some prefer it having it set to 1 if they have a high-end cooler that can handle high temps. but you dont have to worry about that right now coz ur not doing any overclocks.

at least just enable your XMP profile for your RAM. your temps are expected. as for your CPU Fan RPMs. you can use your BIOS setting i think it has some auto smart fan controls in it (like Q-Fan for Asus) make sure its enabled. or if your motherboard comes with an OC software, go to the fan settings and change the curve to have higher RPM at lower temps (like increase the RPM value on 40C). if you dont have one. you can use SpeedFan.

but like i said. you dont have to worry. the temps you mentioned are expected with the cooler you have for a high-end CPU. and they are working normally. if you are planning to do overclockign in the future. its advisable to buy a more high-end cooler to match your cpus demands.

Ezra McIntyre

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
thanks for all the help , so before when i ran prime 95 in seemed to run the fans at only 900 rpm but now im manually running them at 1900 rpm and the cpu never gos above 67-68C. The cpu fan is at about 75 percent atm. i think ill run the fans like this when im gaming and then just normal with every day activities.

thanks for all the help mate!