Question i7 8700k overclock help!

Diego_28

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
i just oced my i7 8700k rocking it with a 212 evo, i was using multi core enhancement, with this feature my frequency was at 4.7 ghz and the vcore voltage was being handled by this feature, so i decided to oc myself, i achievied 4.8 ghz with 1.33 on the vcore, anything lower than that would crash during cinebench, also i have llc (load line calibration) in auto, temps are around 83° in cinebench and between 60 and 72 while gaming, i saw other people that can achieve 4.8 with a lot les voltage, is there anything i can do or i just lost the silicon lottery?, if thats the case is safe to run the processor with this voltage and frequency? thanks in advance

i just oced my i7 8700k rocking it with a 212 evo, i was using multi core enhancement, with this feature my frequency was at 4.7 ghz and the vcore voltage was being handled by this feature, so i decided to oc myself, i achievied 4.8 ghz with 1.33 on the vcore, anything lower than that would crash during cinebench, also i have llc (load line calibration) in auto, temps are around 83° in cinebench and between 60 and 72 while gaming, i saw other people that can achieve 4.8 with a lot les voltage, is there anything i can do or i just lost the silicon lottery?, if thats the case is safe to run the processor with this voltage and frequency? thanks in advance

It sounds like a case of silicone lottery to me- and 1.33v doesn't sounds unsafe (the temps also sound sensible). I think you should be fine at those settings.

It really depends though I would have thought you should be able to get better. I think you CPU cooler in the 212 Evo is holding you back as you need good cooling for overclocking the 8700K especially at 4.8 and above. The motherboard you are using also does matter and fine tuning is key. I know many who can get 5GHz at 1.3v...though I cannot, that requires 1.325v for me but I have settled on a 4.9GHz at 1.278v with a high LLC setting on my motherboard (Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7) and I have very good cooling in the Corsair H150i AIO.

There should be forums just focusing on your motherboard and the 8700K and I would check those out for some baseline settings and try from there though I would also factor in better cooling for any adventures in overclocking.