[SOLVED] i7-8700K overheating above 1.20V - Corsair H115i

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Hello,

I just installed my new i7-8700K on the AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 MOBO. My cooler is Corsair H115i, thermal paste Noctua NT-H1.

The initial load temps were okay until I got to overclocking it. I watched some videos on YouTube where it was stated that it is safe to go to 1.35 V on this chip. But when I do this, I get massive overheating. I mean close to 100 °C.

I tried to reapply the paste, using the pea method, did not help. The radiator fans are at 2000 rpm, pump is set to performance mode and Corsair Link shows 2900 rpm on the pump.

If I set 1.2 V, it's pretty stable at 4,8 GHz, but even then, when running AIDA64 stress test, the temperature on Core #1 sometimes spikes to 85 °C for a second.

When I set anything more than 1.2 V, I get 90+ after a while.

What could be the issue here? I suppose that this is not normal... Or did I just lose the silicon lottery massively?

Thanks,
Tomas

Solution
At 4.8GHz, I would expect the 8700K to hit the 80's degrees C and actually you do have a good CPU as 1.2v is very good for a 4.8GHz overclock. And spikes on the 8700K are normal. Also an offset adaptive vcore might help reduce that a tiny bit..

I had the same issue but went the delid route and now have a stable 24/7 4.9GHz overclock at 1.278v and my temps dropped 18 degrees C which was tremendous and as importantly it was a lot less stressful than I though it was going to be...just 30 minutes and all done using Thermal Grizzly conductonaut and a cheap delid kit from EZ Starts...Just a thought...

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Not all CPU chips overclock to the same extent - It depends on "luck of the draw" as to whether you get one that can overclock well, or not. Also, in a multi-core cpu, some of the cores may overclock more than other cores. Your results sound pretty normal to me.

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015

I know that, but can I lose it so badly?

At 4.8GHz, I would expect the 8700K to hit the 80's degrees C and actually you do have a good CPU as 1.2v is very good for a 4.8GHz overclock. And spikes on the 8700K are normal. Also an offset adaptive vcore might help reduce that a tiny bit..

I had the same issue but went the delid route and now have a stable 24/7 4.9GHz overclock at 1.278v and my temps dropped 18 degrees C which was tremendous and as importantly it was a lot less stressful than I though it was going to be...just 30 minutes and all done using Thermal Grizzly conductonaut and a cheap delid kit from EZ Starts...Just a thought...

Solution

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply! I am glad that my results are okay. I might do the delid as well. Is it at all dangerous? :)

No problems at all....As to the delid...I was in the same boat and I will admit I was scared as hell and put it off for a while...I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was...There are so many decent guides on you tube showing how to delid the 8700K and it was much easier than I thought it would be....Just take your time and it will be okay...

There are also people out there that charge a very small amount who will do it for you...but doing it yourself is highly satisfying!!!

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015

Haha, I know what you mean. Every time I build a PC and it works, the feeling is great :) Yeah, that is true too. There is a guy in my country who does it for, like, $50. Which is approximately the same price that I can get the delid device for here... So I'll probably go this way :)

Can I expect guaranteed improvement though?

I can guarantee there will be a huge difference...I could not believe it when my temps dropped so much...More than worth it for a very cool running 8700K overclocked to the max....

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015

Well, yeah, but I already managed to get it up to 4.8 GHz. If I do delid, could I get to like 5.1 GHz? Because IMHO the 0.1 difference is not worth the $50.. :)

It's more the termps and keeping things cool on the 8700K just makes me feel better....